News   May 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 683     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.4K     7 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It would have been interesting if Mt. Pleasant station had a direct entrance connecting it to the Eglinton Public School. There is precedence for that in Toronto even: note the direct connection between St. George station and OISE.

I think those are vastly different matters--OISE is a university building which people can generally travel freely in and out of, and which really just houses adult students and faculty/staff. Eglinton houses students in grades 1-6. I don't think a lot of those parents would like there being a direct LRT entrance in/out of their kids' schools. Most elementary schools I know of generally don't like inviting members of the public to freely come in and wander around like OISE.

Ugh, I prefer the actual street names, not these new names. Fairbank means nothing to me, as do most of the other names. I mean, if they can call a station "Aga Khan & Eglinton", why not call it "Dufferin & Eglinton"?

Ugh, I prefer the actual street names, not these new names. Fairbank means nothing to me, as do most of the other names. I mean, if they can call a station "Aga Khan & Eglinton", why not call it "Dufferin & Eglinton"?

While I agree that some of these names are bad, unfortunately you can't name the streets in several locations as they already exist as stations elsewhere, that would be even more confusing.

While I agree that some of these names are bad, unfortunately you can't name the streets in several locations as they already exist as stations elsewhere, that would be even more confusing.

Not really. They are different lines. Though I'd even settle for Dufferin-Fairbank over simply Fairbank. I think for wayfinding purposes, having the cross street included is important.

On the note of aga khan...isnt that station itself a little too close to science centre? (like ~200m) thats streetcar spacing which they are trying not to sell it as

lol on their site for voting for the names, theres no voting limit per account.

I voted 3 times for the same name :p

Many other cities do this without trouble. People just have to say "meet me at Dufferin and Eglinton, rather than "meet me at Dufferin".

From your link:

Metrolinx’s Design Excellence team recently completed a study on regional transit wayfinding harmonization including station, stop, and interchange naming

Has anyone seen or have a link to this study? I've never seen it.

Never mind: I should read the article more closely :)

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/station_naming_-_eglinton_line_0.pdf

Back