News   Jul 03, 2024
 306     1 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 490     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 322     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

That ramp is a non-issue, if it still needs to remain then just realign the ramps for the westbound lanes so they are in a straight line directly between the roadway and the LRT tracks, a ramp going down to meet the underpass followed by one going back up.

How would a south side alignment work with this? in median works fine:
Celestica.jpg

1. Convert it to a diamond interchange (shown in black) and have the LRT (yellow) go just south of this, OR,
  2. Go under the existing CPR bridge at the end span and go just south of the existing loop (red).

#1 requires twin LRT tunnels to be pushed through the CPR embankment just south of Eglinton - probably costing about $15M. The interchange reconfiguration is probably in the $5M range.

#2 may be tough due to the topography of the area - it is quite steep. I do not have a great idea of how far north the bridge actually goes and whether the LRT could actually go under this end span and still have minimal side slope to reasonably pass just south of the ramp.

I suppose a hybrid may be possible where the LRT goes under the CPR bridge and then quickly curves north so that it continues south of the reconfigured diamond interchange (a half red, half yellow, and all black solution).

I am sure that Metrolinx considered all these options so I am surprised they did not respond with analyses of these and other options when they replied to reaperexpress

Attachments

• Celestica.jpg
    Celestica.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 463
The opposition to removing those stations would pale in comparison to the uproar Forest Hill would evoke if Metrolynx tried to remove the Chaplin station.

In the grande scheme of things, a Leslie stop is completely pointless though.
So there is an uproar, so what. It will pass. Is there not uproars when the prospect of condos come to areas - yet they still get built - even in richer neighbourhoods. Actually some areas do not even want subway stops because they know with that comes condo development. Is that not the reason why there is no subway stop between Eglinton and Lawrence on Yonge? A subway is not being build along Eglinton, but as it is underground, the LRT will spur development for sure

There is no subway stop between Eglinton and Lawrence on Yonge because there is nothing there, not even retail after Blythwood. (Where a hypothetical stop would go)

And I don't think anti-development NIMBYs wold outcry the pro-subway stop NIMBY crowd, and the plurality is what matters to Councillors.

Actually some areas do not even want subway stops because they know with that comes condo development. Is that not the reason why there is no subway stop between Eglinton and Lawrence on Yonge?

Or Willowdale, between Yonge and Bayview?

There is retail north of Blythwood, it just doesn't do very well. And the area is being redeveloped incrementally (see e.g. the Alaska condo, or the condos that have gone up at Alexandra. And that Budget lot has to go someday). Actually, at the intersection of Lytton/Blythwood and Yonge itself one reason there isn't anything is because of TTC facility on the northwest corner of Yonge and Lytton, fronting the parkette. I don't think all this necessitates adding a stop but I do think there is potential for further densification. Sheridan nurseries, the restaurant across from sporting life, the block with Sign of the Skier, etc. And that is going to happen regardless.

View attachment 21011
  1. Convert it to a diamond interchange (shown in black) and have the LRT (yellow) go just south of this, OR,
  2. Go under the existing CPR bridge at the end span and go just south of the existing loop (red).

#1 requires twin LRT tunnels to be pushed through the CPR embankment just south of Eglinton - probably costing about $15M. The interchange reconfiguration is probably in the $5M range.

#2 may be tough due to the topography of the area - it is quite steep. I do not have a great idea of how far north the bridge actually goes and whether the LRT could actually go under this end span and still have minimal side slope to reasonably pass just south of the ramp.

I suppose a hybrid may be possible where the LRT goes under the CPR bridge and then quickly curves north so that it continues south of the reconfigured diamond interchange (a half red, half yellow, and all black solution).

I am sure that Metrolinx considered all these options so I am surprised they did not respond with analyses of these and other options when they replied to reaperexpress

The LRT would have to go under the railway anyways. Eglinton Avenue starts to go uphill just east and after the railway, so a portal for the underground section around Don Mills could start at the railway. In addition, if they continue the shift in the alignment for a proper cross-platform transfer station at Don Mills, having the alignment continue southeast into the Science Centre parking lot would bypass the Celestica ramp. It'll depend on the topography of the area on the south side of Eglinton in that area, and how deep the tunneling or excavation would go.

urbantoronto-7615-26407.jpg

Last edited:
There is no subway stop between Eglinton and Lawrence on Yonge because there is nothing there, not even retail after Blythwood. (Where a hypothetical stop would go)

And I don't think anti-development NIMBYs wold outcry the pro-subway stop NIMBY crowd, and the plurality is what matters to Councillors.

+1 people DO want a stop near their homes. Many also support further development, I know I do. I have been to public meetings and voiced my support of certain developments to my councillor and the city planner.

There is a 15 story apartment building being built right now very close to where I live, and many many more 5-20 story apartment buildings in the area, as well as townhouses and walk-up apartments.

The LRT would have to go under the railway anyways. Eglinton Avenue starts to go uphill just east and after the railway, so a portal for the underground section around Don Mills could start at the railway. In addition, if they continue the shift in the alignment for a proper cross-platform transfer station at Don Mills, having the alignment continue southeast into the Science Centre parking lot would bypass the Celestica ramp. It'll depend on the topography of the area on the south side of Eglinton in that area, and how deep the tunneling or excavation would go.[/IMG]

It does look a bit hilly here. First off, I would abandon any plans to have a cross-platform transfer at Don Mills. Metrolinx thinks ridership is low enough that Eglinton can run in the median and some people are still considering the need for a cross-platform transfer that would be good for transfer capacity greater than at Y-B.

Here is what I mentioned in the "hybrid" solution. Based on the median alignment, the portal starts about where the Celestica ramps enter Eglinton - I have shown this with dotted line.

Cellestica_Page_2.jpg

With countour lines (courtesy of T.O. INview), it can be seen that there are some steep slopes to the SE of the CPR bridge.

Cellestica_Page_3.jpg

Here is one more view.

Cellestica_Page_1.jpg

Attachments

• Cellestica_Page_2.jpg
    Cellestica_Page_2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Cellestica_Page_3.jpg
    Cellestica_Page_3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Cellestica_Page_1.jpg
    Cellestica_Page_1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 353
With the steep slope, it makes sense for a south side allignment to use an elevated guideway that ducks under the CPR tracks then over the Celestrica ramps.

Problem with the south side alignment is that you have to deal with the interchange for Celestica. Everybody seems to be forgetting about this.
You'd simply convert that to an intersection. I can't imagine you'd ever build something like that these days - and I expect when the bill shows up for the rehab of that bridge, Celestica will also wanted it converted to an intersection of some kind.

Back