News   Jul 03, 2024
 304     1 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 490     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 322     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Two points from the Kennedy Station Design Update Meeting.

1. Up to 3 cars per consist (train)
  2. High passenger capacity, 1 LRV = 2.5 Buses

That means 1 train of 3 light rail vehicles is equal to 7.5 buses. That's 7.5 buses every 5 minutes in the NON-rush hour, or every 2.5 minutes during the rush hours. Each train driven by one driver.

urbantoronto-7573-26379.jpg

What could have been. Paging Burl Oak.

urbantoronto-7573-26379.jpg

What could have been. Paging Burl Oak.

It was hard to hear you bat signal with all this snow.

This is by far the best solution - of course Ford was not smart enough to realize it. It was a bit pricey as fully underground though.

Any savings obtained from this line would be used towards the Sheppard subway. As near as I can figure, this took away any incentive for the TTC or Metrolinx to find savings since it would have gone towards a "Ford" project and nobody wanted that.

It was hard to hear you bat signal with all this snow.

This is by far the best solution - of course Ford was not smart enough to realize it. It was a bit pricey as fully underground though.

Any savings obtained from this line would be used towards the Sheppard subway. As near as I can figure, this took away any incentive for the TTC or Metrolinx to find savings since it would have gone towards a "Ford" project and nobody wanted that.

Haha.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/02/eglinton-air-city-council-discusses-transit

It was never endorsed by council at all even. This could have all been over last year.

This would have made so much more sense than what we're on track to build now, particularly due to its lower impact on Bloor-Yonge station compared to a BD extension.

The east segment didn't have to be full underground, it could have been partially elevated and at-grade as well. And if the Scarborough Subway fiasco taught us anything it's that with good political support (deceptive and loud), cost can be completely dismissed as a factor.

A long while ago I went in to the Crosstown public office, to ask about the surface segment between the Brentcliffe and Don Mills portals. It's been so long that I figured my comments had gotten lost in the bureaucracy but I actually got a response this week.

I suggested that the LRT should be on the south side of the street rather than the median in order to completely eliminate conflict between cars and LRVs (since Leslie is the only intersection and it is a T to the north). They said:

Your question asked why the LRT alignment was not adjacent to the curb at Leslie Street. The alignment of the LRT guideway is in the centre of the road throughout the at-grade section. This is in accordance with the approved Environmental Assessment. In road corridors where a 36 metre right-of-way is available, the preferred alignment for the LRT is to operate in the centre of the right of way. Centre lanes offer the following major advantages:

-The transit lanes do not block access to property or minor streets, and in turn, transit vehicles are not blocked by right-turning automobiles;
-LRT vehicles in centre lanes are more easily and more safely controlled at intersections rather than on at the side of the street; and
-A similar amount of right-of-way width is required regardless of whether the transit lanes are on the side or in the centre of the street.

On the basis of these arguments, the centre option was selected as being the base alignment for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. In special study areas, Metrolinx investigated alignments outside the centre of roadway to see if the alignment provided any advantages in those cases.
A centre-street alignment is generally preferred in terms to accommodate both traffic movements, access to development and balancing pedestrian access from the north and south sides of the street.

Basically they decided that the median is generally a good place for a surface ROW, so LRT will always be in the median regardless of context.

It makes sense that the LRT would be completely in the median in the original EA, because it was entirely on surface so any reduction in conflict from a side-of-road alignment would be offset by the conflict created by crossing to the side of the road. But now that we have an underground segment at Don Mills, we can consider the Don Mills-Brentcliffe surface segment independently of the eastern surface segment and that was the whole point of my comment.

The reason LRT is safe in the median is that left turns are permitted exclusively on protected signal phases. Protected signals are not somehow limited to left turn movements, they can be used for any type of movement which conflicts with the ROW, regardless of its location. Some protected right turn signals do exist in Toronto: on Eglinton at Allen Road westbound, and I think they are being installed with Queen's Quay's new south-side streetcar ROW as well.

Last edited:
A long while ago I went in to the Crosstown public office, to ask about the surface segment between the Brentcliffe and Don Mills portals. It's been so long that I figured my comments had gotten lost in the bureaucracy but I actually got a response this week.

I suggested that the LRT should be on the south side of the street rather than the median in order to completely eliminate conflict between cars and LRVs (since Leslie is the only intersection and it is a T to the north). They said:

Basically they decided that the median is generally a good place for a surface ROW, so LRT will always be in the median regardless of context.

It makes sense that the LRT would be completely in the median in the original EA, because it was entirely on surface so any reduction in conflict from a side-of-road alignment would be offset by the conflict created by crossing to the side of the road. But now that we have an underground segment at Don Mills, we can consider the Don Mills-Brentcliffe surface segment independently of the eastern surface segment and that was the whole point of my comment.

The reason LRT is safe in the median is that left turns are permitted exclusively on protected signal phases. Protected signals are not somehow limited to left turn movements, they can be used for any type of movement which conflicts with the ROW, regardless of its location. Some protected right turn signals do exist in Toronto: on Eglinton at Allen Road westbound, and I think they are being installed with Queen's Quay's new south-side streetcar ROW as well.

I sent the same question in over a month ago and did not hear back. It sounds like a real insult that they were not able to actually answer your specific question.

It sounds like Metrolinx only has about a dozen planners and engineers working on the Eglinton Crosstown and most if not all the design work is being done by Consultants.

Problem with the south side alignment is that you have to deal with the interchange for Celestica. Everybody seems to be forgetting about this.

and yes I presume most of the work is going to be done by consultants, its cheaper to hire consultants for a 2 year job than to hire them full time and have to find another thing for them to work on in 2 years once the Crosstown is finished its design process.

Back