News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 722     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

There are reasonable conversations to be had about stop spacing, headways, and priority signalling for LRT. But I disagree that it is those kind of issues that concern most of the LRT antagonists. I think instead that it is very simply that subways seem "grown up" and "world class" (and thus the suburbs are being overlooked if they don't get them), and that LRTs are viewed as snarling traffic. These two sentiments are the ones most often voiced by Ford and his supporters.

There are reasonable conversations to be had about stop spacing, headways, and priority signalling for LRT. But I disagree that it is those kind of issues that concern most of the LRT antagonists. I think instead that it is very simply that subways seem "grown up" and "world class" (and thus the suburbs are being overlooked if they don't get them), and that LRTs are viewed as snarling traffic. These two sentiments are the ones most often voiced by Ford and his supporters.

Those may be Ford and his supporters views, but they aren't the views of subway supporters such as myself.

Soil testing happening in the Chaplin Road area (link). Hope you studied?

Quick, if "Soil pH is a very important result to understand in the soil analysis report. The soil pH scale is measured from 0-14. A reading of 7.0 is the middle of the scale and is considered to be "neutral". Anything below 7.0 is acidic. What is it called above 7.0?"

I'd love to hear which subways you support.
Spadina line to Steeles West. Yonge line to Richmond Hill. DRL from Eglinton through Pape/Donlands to Queen/Wellington then west at least to Spadina ... and probably up to Dundas West.

I've also spoken in favour of both extending Sheppard to Victoria Park (though I balk if it really costs $1-billion) and extending Danforth to Scarborough Town Centre - but I think the ship has sailed on both of these, so no point debating any more, until we see significant ridership increases in 30-40 years or so.

I'm quite happy to see Danforth extended one station to Brimely/Danforth/Eglinton - and perhaps even to Scarborough GO and Eglinton/Kingston, depending on ridership projections (it could always have a branch that goes one way to STC and another way to Kingston Road. And I'm not opposed at extending the Bloor line to East Mall. I've mused if one day extending either to Pearson or Mississauga City Centre might be in the cards (or perhaps a branch).

I'm luke warm on the proposal to branch the Spadina line at Downsview along Sheppard West to connect to the Sheppard Line. I could be convinced, as it provides great network connection for only 3.5 km of subway (remember the Sheppard line already extends west to the edge of the Senlac station box).

For stuff after that, I've advocated for breaking the Yonge-University line at Union and extending the Yonge line at least to Spadina (and perhaps up Spadina, or perhaps further west) and the University line to at least West Donlands (maybe to Portlands one day, and onto Woodbine/Queen and up to the Danforth line somewhere).

I bet all these lines (other than perhaps Sheppard West, which is more about network connectivity) would have more riders that extending Sheppard East, east of Victoria Park.

I've never been anti-subway. Just anti-subways that will be grossly underused. I'm pro-transit. Subway where necessary, but not necessarily subways. We need a big increase in transit infrastructure, a mixture of new subways, new LRT, and new heavy rail (both local service and express rail).

Spadina line to Steeles West. Yonge line to Richmond Hill. DRL from Eglinton through Pape/Donlands to Queen/Wellington then west at least to Spadina ... and probably up to Dundas West.

I've also spoken in favour of both extending Sheppard to Victoria Park (though I balk if it really costs $1-billion) and extending Danforth to Scarborough Town Centre - but I think the ship has sailed on both of these, so no point debating any more, until we see significant ridership increases in 30-40 years or so.

I'm quite happy to see Danforth extended one station to Brimely/Danforth/Eglinton - and perhaps even to Scarborough GO and Eglinton/Kingston, depending on ridership projections (it could always have a branch that goes one way to STC and another way to Kingston Road. And I'm not opposed at extending the Bloor line to East Mall. I've mused if one day extending either to Pearson or Mississauga City Centre might be in the cards (or perhaps a branch).

I'm luke warm on the proposal to branch the Spadina line at Downsview along Sheppard West to connect to the Sheppard Line. I could be convinced, as it provides great network connection for only 3.5 km of subway (remember the Sheppard line already extends west to the edge of the Senlac station box).

For stuff after that, I've advocated for breaking the Yonge-University line at Union and extending the Yonge line at least to Spadina (and perhaps up Spadina, or perhaps further west) and the University line to at least West Donlands (maybe to Portlands one day, and onto Woodbine/Queen and up to the Danforth line somewhere).

I bet all these lines (other than perhaps Sheppard West, which is more about network connectivity) would have more riders that extending Sheppard East, east of Victoria Park.

I've never been anti-subway. Just anti-subways that will be grossly underused. I'm pro-transit. Subway where necessary, but not necessarily subways. We need a big increase in transit infrastructure, a mixture of new subways, new LRT, and new heavy rail (both local service and express rail).

It seems based on what you've written here I wouldn't be against anything you support. Where we differ is in the details, and what I support is far more ambitious than what you've proposed.

From reading your posts, you're much older than I am so that may be part of the reason.

From reading your posts, you're much older than I am so that may be part of the reason.
Quite possibly ... I grabbed a 3 Musketeers bar this afternoon for the first time in years, and what I pondered, was didn't it used to have a different name in Canada before that big movie came out? Or am I just getting them mixed up with Milky Way bars (did we used to get those in Canada?). But then I realised I should keep that to myself, as it reveals too much.

Quite possibly ... I grabbed a 3 Musketeers bar this afternoon for the first time in years, and what I pondered, was didn't it used to have a different name in Canada before that big movie came out? Or am I just getting them mixed up with Milky Way bars (did we used to get those in Canada?). But then I realised I should keep that to myself, as it reveals too much.

Hmm I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with either. I like Kit-Kat, Mars, Twix, Aero, Caramilk, etc.

It should have this kind of separation in the streets

[video=youtube;H73eyHOBH40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H73eyHOBH40[/video]

Umm, I hope not. I applaud this new LRT line, but I stopped watching after a few minutes because is just so, well, boring and hideous. Virtually the whole line seems to run through an industrial wasteland of blank walls, parking lots and random depressing junk. I don't like the three foot high concrete walls a bit, and the grill fencing isn't much better. What purpose would they serve on Eglinton? The Golden Mile is nearly as ugly as this, not quite, but I think the goal is to try to improve its character. While the crossing arms are an idea that Toronto might want to consider for the speed gain, I think the more European look of Toronto's plan is preferable.

Back