News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.7K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 643     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Tulse:

Yeah but also rather slow and works more like a streetcar, particularly the former. Not useful for apples to apples comparison - unless you want to slant it in a certain way.

AoD

Yeah but also rather slow and works more like a streetcar, particularly the former.
I completely agree, but in terms of existing systems that the respondents might be familiar with, Spadina is a far better comparison than St. Clair, even though it is still an inaccurate analogy.

I think it would be far wiser to stay away from mode comparisons and focus on the tangibles - i.e. wait time, travel time and cost.

AoD

I think it would be far wiser to stay away from mode comparisons and focus on the tangibles - i.e. wait time, travel time and cost.

AoD

Certain Torontonians don't want tangibles though - it seems that anything that's different than what is already in Toronto seems weird and scary.

With the wording given, I want it below ground too.

How about:

"Do you want the single 25km Eglinton LRT built below ground or for the same cost a 50km of rapid transit plan including Sheppard subway extension, an above ground Eglinton LRT and an above ground Finch BRT?"

Or:

"Do you want Eglinton build below-ground or do you prefer a cheque for $1500 to be mailed to your household and Eglinton to be build above-ground?"

If the majority still say underground Eglinton LRT then that is what we should be doing.

Last edited:

How about:

"Do you want the single 25km Eglinton LRT built below ground or for the same cost a 50km of rapid transit including Sheppard subway extension, an above ground Eglinton LRT and an above ground Finch LRT?"

Or:

"Do you want Eglinton build below-ground or do you prefer a cheque for $1500 to be mailed to your household and Eglinton to be build above-ground?"

What I find funny is that North York and Scarborough are actually better served by the second option you mentioned. Even the "compromise" plan works better in their favour.

What I find funny is that North York and Scarborough are actually better served by the second option you mentioned. Even the "compromise" plan works better in their favour.

Most people don't watch/read political news except at elections and even then it's limited. They wouldn't know anything other than what was in the question.

The poll includes that 50% of the population who don't even bother voting; they don't follow day to day activities of city hall closely.

I would hazard a guess that 50% of respondants don't know about the compromise plan. Give it a couple more months of news/discussion and ask again and the result might be different (see York Region BRT approval rating as a less urban comparison).

Last edited:
North York and Scarborough are the reasons why we are in this mess. Scarborough wanted a subway that serves half the people their instead of an LRT which covered the whole city.

Because it's not about "covering" the city. It's about getting people where they want to go. There's no value in having a streetcar next to your house if it takes you down to Kingston Road where you have no interest in going. It's also useless if it's barely any faster than the existing bus, runs less frequently, and has a stop further from your house. Even Adam Giambrone said the Sheppard LRT isn't useful for people going all the way to the subway, and anybody who rides transit in Scarborough knows that's what a good chunk of the ridership is doing.

Show the people a video of that Seattle Sound LRT line when it's in the middle of the road, to get a true sense what an LRT running on a suburban arterial actually runs like.

Or this:

(From Wikipedia)

Paris_tramway_T3_p1140675.jpg

How about:

"Do you want the single 25km Eglinton LRT built below ground or for the same cost a 50km of rapid transit plan including Sheppard subway extension, an above ground Eglinton LRT and an above ground Finch BRT?"

Or:

If the majority still say underground Eglinton LRT then that is what we should be doing.

I suspect that many of the respondents don't even realize that an underground line costs more than a line in street median.

If the question contained a fair description of alternatives - either a fully underground line and nothing else, or a subway-surface option plus $2 billion for other corridors - something tells me that the second option would win with a large margin.

Back