News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Hey in the underground portion I heard they'll be using ATC. Does it mean it's automated?

It has to be.

CBTC is a combination between driver input and computer control.

ATC is 100% computer controlled.

I guess the drivers will have their lunch break while in the tunnels.

Although with driverless car tech around the corner, I'm sure the entire line will become completely automated in the not too distant future. Its easier to make an LRT on a track driverless than a car with wheels that has to steer.

Automatic train operation (ATO), control (ATC) & protection (ATP)
BY HEBA SOFFAR · PUBLISHED AUGUST 24, 2016 · UPDATED FEBRUARY 27, 2019

The automatic train operation (ATO) is the operational safety enhancement device used to help automate the operations of trains, It is used on automated guide-way transits and rapid transit systems that are easier to ensure safety of humans, Most systems elect to maintain the driver (train operator) to mitigate the risks associated with the failures or the emergencies.

A lot of modern systems are linked with the automatic train control (ATC) and in many cases with the automatic train protection (ATP) where normal signaller operations such as the route setting and the train regulation are carried out by the system.
ATO and ATC/ATP systems will work together to maintain the train within the defined tolerance of its timetable, Combined system will adjust the operating parameters such as the ratio of power to coast when moving and station dwell time to bring the train back to the timetable slot defined for it.

Automatic train control (ATC)
The automatic train control (ATC) is the general class of train protection systems for the railways which involves the speed control mechanism in response to the external inputs, There are many different safety systems labeled as the automatic train control.
ATC systems tend to integrate various cab signalling technologies and they use more deceleration patterns in the lieu of the rigid stops encountered with the older automatic train stop technology, ATC can be used with the automatic train operation (ATO) and it is considered to be the safety-critical part of the system.

Automatic train operation
[...]
https://www.online-sciences.com/robotics/automatic-train-operation-ato-control-atc-protection-atp/

It has to be.

CBTC is a combination between driver input and computer control.

ATC is 100% computer controlled.

I guess the drivers will have their lunch break while in the tunnels.

Although with driverless car tech around the corner, I'm sure the entire line will become completely automated in the not too distant future. Its easier to make an LRT on a track driverless than a car with wheels that has to steer.
So it'll similar to what's been going on with the signal upgrades on line 1

Looking west along Eglinton yesterday evening, from just west of Victoria Park:

IMG_5345.jpg

I doubt that, because the SRT could technically be operated driverless as it is in Vancouver, but the TTC has to this day opted to operate it with drivers.

Does anyone think that maybe the Eglinton line might provide a bit of relief to the busy Bloor Danforth line?

A bit, certainly....but not so much to eliminate the overcrowding at the key transfer points.

There will be people coming to/from Scarborough, for instance, who will be able to come across Eglinton and transfer to nort-south buses, who today have to ride Line 2 for that trip. But if one is headed downtown, Crosstown won’t help you bypass those key transfer spots.

- Paul

Back