Toronto Crosstown LRT: Eglinton Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is the completion of this station the primary roadblock to finalization? or are there other known issues they are working through?

Also, anybody got pics of platform level at Eg on Yonge line? Wasnt the whole platform supposed the shift northwards, hows that going?
This is not much, but I managed to get these photo on Dec 29th.

20221229_180411.jpg
20221229_180357.jpg
20221229_180437.jpg

View attachment 448863View attachment 448864View attachment 448865
That doorway you are looking through is the north wall of the existing Yonge line station box?

It looks to me like the northbound platform shift is no longer happening…

My long shot guess is that the platform shift not happening is related to the delays. Hope they didn’t have to sacrifice too much on the vertical circulation between Yonge line and Eg line.

Anybody have the old and/or new station drawings?

Edit. Adding the rendering released by ML way back when… looking SE through Yonge and Eg intersection. If they don’t shift the yonge platform north it looks like half the vert circulation goes “poof”. How typical for Toronto. I hope this isnt true.

AE891932-F203-4BEC-AF33-581193FB3603.jpeg

Last edited:
That doorway you are looking through is the north wall of the existing Yonge line station box?

My long shot guess is that the platform shift not happening is related to the delays. Hope they didn’t have to sacrifice too much on the vertical circulation between Yonge line and Eg line.

Edit. Adding the rendering released by ML way back when… looking SE through Yonge and Eg intersection. If they don’t shift the yonge platform north it looks like half the vert circulation goes “poof”. How typical for Toronto. I hope this isnt true.
The platform has been shifted although not as much as was originally planned during the early designs. The plans then would have removed the turnbacks north of Eglington, instead, they extend closer to it. When you take a train either north leaving Eglington or south entering it you can see that they have hoarding up into the tunnel as well.

The platform has been shifted although not as much as was originally planned during the early designs. The plans then would have removed the turnbacks north of Eglington, instead, they extend closer to it. When you take a train either north leaving Eglington or south entering it you can see that they have hoarding up into the tunnel as well.
Going off the photos posted by urban chaiman above it looks a lot to me like they built passageways north of existing platforms but did not move the platforms themselves. Thats just from looking at those three photos but that escalator appears to have walls on three sides (north east and west) which has terazzo surrounds already installed. I could be wrong but it looks a lot like the platform isnt moving.

Going off the photos posted by urban chaiman above it looks a lot to me like they built passageways north of existing platforms but did not move the platforms themselves. Thats just from looking at those three photos but that escalator appears to have walls on three sides (north east and west) which has terazzo surrounds already installed. I could be wrong but it looks a lot like the platform isnt moving.
They have a couple of sections on the platform as well that are boarded up too probably for stairs and escalators. It's not just the one set being added.

They have a couple of sections on the platform as well that are boarded up too probably for stairs and escalators. It's not just the one set being added.
Hopefully those are direct platform to platform to new concourse circulation. Worst case will be routing pax up to existing concourse and then down to new concourse.

It always seemed a bit ambitious to me to keep L1 open while also undermining and building the new L5 concourse while also compromising the L1 tunnel integrity by moving the existing platform north. I suppose rather than sink another $1B or so into it they decided somewhere to just cut losses and leave existing tunnels intact.

If so. Is it fair to say this is poor engineering?

Hopefully those are direct platform to platform to new concourse circulation. Worst case will be routing pax up to existing concourse and then down to new concourse.
I don't think they are likely to do that as it wouldn't really make much sense. Don't forget they are adding more entrances that will be onto the crosstown platform as well so not everyone will be using the ones from the original station.
It always seemed a bit ambitious to me to keep L1 open while also undermining and building the new L5 concourse while also compromising the L1 tunnel integrity by moving the existing platform north. I suppose rather than sink another $1B or so into it they decided somewhere to just cut losses and leave existing tunnels intact.
Closing it during construction outside of the weekends wasn't an option. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like if people had to take buses every day of the week during the construction. As I said before originally the plan was to remove the crossover and storage track as well but it was decided to leave it rather than spending money to rebuild the tracks in the subway tunnel for that.
If so. Is it fair to say this is poor engineering?
I'm not really sure what you mean by that. A lot of the problems that they came across at Eglinton sation wasn't anything to do with the existing subway tunnel it was utilities not being where they were on drawings which happens a lot in places. The only poor engineering that i would say there was from before the crosstown was planned.

I don't think they are likely to do that as it wouldn't really make much sense. Don't forget they are adding more entrances that will be onto the crosstown platform as well so not everyone will be using the ones from the original station.

Closing it during construction outside of the weekends wasn't an option. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like if people had to take buses every day of the week during the construction. As I said before originally the plan was to remove the crossover and storage track as well but it was decided to leave it rather than spending money to rebuild the tracks in the subway tunnel for that.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. A lot of the problems that they came across at Eglinton sation wasn't anything to do with the existing subway tunnel it was utilities not being where they were on drawings which happens a lot in places. The only poor engineering that i would say there was from before the crosstown was planned.
Indefinitely delayed seems more than just poor utility locates.

Indefinitely delayed seems more than just poor utility locates.
What do you mean by that? People keep saying that but have no actual evidence that points to that. Yes the plans changed from opening it in sections when it was a city of Toronto project but that was only because of how it was being funded after Metrolinx took it over that plan changed and then their were delays because of Rob Ford "canceling" the project. I think people were hoping that it would be open by now but to say it's been delayed indefinitely you really need to rethink what you are saying because it's pretty obvious that it's going to be opened by the end of the year unless something extremely catastrophic happens at this point.

What do you mean by that? People keep saying that but have no actual evidence that points to that. Yes the plans changed from opening it in sections when it was a city of Toronto project but that was only because of how it was being funded after Metrolinx took it over that plan changed and then their were delays because of Rob Ford "canceling" the project. I think people were hoping that it would be open by now but to say it's been delayed indefinitely you really need to rethink what you are saying because it's pretty obvious that it's going to be opened by the end of the year unless something extremely catastrophic happens at this point.
The govt and the consortium are now fighting over cost over runs. Reporting of leaked documents back early December confirmed as much. I suspect that they “bite off more than they could chew” with regard to the original designs and then throw the PPP model into the mix and nobody wants to pickup the tab… This is all speculation on my part but if the engineering was bad and couldnt be built to that spec on that budget it will end up in lawsuits and hence the media blackout and endless delays. It all seems to line up.

Source:

“… internal records state there's a "lack of a credible plan" to finish the LRT…”

“The documents say the testing and commission schedule is "overly ambitious and not achievable" and that the challenge of achieving the targets could significantly delay the completion of the project.”

The govt and the consortium are now fighting over cost over runs. Reporting of leaked documents back early December confirmed as much. I suspect that they “bite off more than they could chew” with regard to the original designs and then throw the PPP model into the mix and nobody wants to pickup the tab… This is all speculation on my part but if the engineering was bad and couldnt be built to that spec on that budget it will end up in lawsuits and hence the media blackout and endless delays. It all seems to line up.

Source:

“… internal records state there's a "lack of a credible plan" to finish the LRT…”

“The documents say the testing and commission schedule is "overly ambitious and not achievable" and that the challenge of achieving the targets could significantly delay the completion of the project.”
Whatever i honestly don't actually care what they are saying. When it's done and testing is completed they will open it whether it's the end of this year or next year which seems really silly to even suggested at this point. The TTC had lawsuits going on for the TYSE after it was completed so i don't think that's going to hold it up anymore (source on that was watching TTC board meetings where they would mention that was discussed in private).

View attachment 448868

Firstly, thanks to Urban Chairman for the photos. We still haven't heard Urban Chairman's response to tnarduzzi's question above confirming that this is at PLATFORM level. Let me throw something into the mix in the meantime.
Perhaps these photos are not of (the north end of) the subway platform but instead are one level above. Crosslinx are replacing one of the existing escalators to the line 1 platform with an escalator running the opposite way. (It goes up to the north replacing the one going up to the south). Maybe this is looking south at the existing level above the line 1 subway platform at the new escalator going down to the platform. If that is the case, directly behind the camera would be the existing (and unchanged) stairs going down north to the subway platform.

If my supposition is correct, then all bets are off re: the platform extension.

Firstly, thanks to Urban Chairman for the photos. We still haven't heard Urban Chairman's response to tnarduzzi's question above confirming that this is at PLATFORM level. Let me throw something into the mix in the meantime.
Perhaps these photos are not of (the north end of) the subway platform but instead are one level above. Crosslinx are replacing one of the existing escalators to the line 1 platform with an escalator running the opposite way. (It goes up to the north replacing the one going up to the south). Maybe this is looking south at the existing level above the line 1 subway platform at the new escalator going down to the platform. If that is the case, directly behind the camera would be the existing (and unchanged) stairs going down north to the subway platform.

If my supposition is correct, then all bets are off re: the platform extension.
Good point. The brown tile might not be platform level at all! It has been a very long time since I was there. But most TTC platforms are terrazzo iirc?

My comments are based on assumption that Urban Chairman’s photos are on platform level looking north at the new escalator I circled in this render. If that IS the case then I maintain the platform isnt moving. If not then I totally agree and must admit all bets are off.

I really wish that ML would give some type of detailed update. Might be time to jump a hoarding again and find out for myself. 😉

3E933D33-44F8-47D1-AEFD-F55A04E4DAD5.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 448863View attachment 448864View attachment 448865

I commute through Eglinton Station every day and know where this is. Urban Chairman's photos are not at platform level. This photo is from the mezzanine level above (i.e. Cinnabon level). You'll see this construction fascade when you come up the staircase at the northern-most end of the current platform.

Here's what that looks in the final design for Eglinton. The render that everyone is referring to is out of date. Frustrating that Metrolinx keeps it on their website, it's not accurate. Here are the final designs:

The existing north staircase is in the green square. Urban Chairman's photos are of the future escalator in the red circle, planned from the Cinnabon level down to Line 1 platform level. If it helps, the blue square is the escalator up from the mezzanine to the (former) BMO at street level, at the intersection of Yonge and Eglinton.
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 19.05.55.png

Here's what that looks like from Line 1's platform. Again, green square is the existing north-side staircase. Urban Chairman's photos are of the future escalator in the red circle. The future Line 1 platform will be extended north, but by less than originally planned. Per the final design doc:

"The preliminary concepts approved by the TTC Board in 2013 included a possible 70- metre extension of the subway platform to the north, to improve customer transfer distribution. The final design reduces the platform extension to approximately 24 metres. Although this platform extension will result in a shift of the train position to the north, access to the existing elevator and stairs to the south entrance will be maintained."

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 19.05.58.png

Last edited:

Back