News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 644     0 

Toronto Council Races - 2010

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought I'd set up a thread for discussing the local council races in Toronto to separate from the mayoral thread. I think a 905 election thread will be coming soon as well.

So, on January 6, it appears that council is losing some members, with many long-time incumbents not running again.

- Kyle Rae (27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale) announced he is not running again
- Giorgio Mammoliti is running for mayor, allowing for Ward 7 (York West) to open up.
- Case Ootes (29, Toronto Danforth) is also not running again.

There's speculation that Michael Walker may not run, with Trustee Josh Matlow already running in that ward.

And it also depends on who is running for mayor: Adam Giambrone (18, Davenport) or Joe Pantalone (19, Trinity-Spadina) have also expressed interest.

2010 will prove to be interesting at the mayoral and councillor levels.

With Pam McConnell's "ticket", Mayor Miller, leaving, I am wondering if McConnell will retire from City Hall politics.

There is the chance that Smitherman (should he win) would be kind to Pam due to previous affiliations in City Hall, but then again, he may sense the need for fresh blood.

Just out of interest here are the longest serving members of the current city council:

Howard Moscoe - 32 years
Joe Pantalone - 30 years
Michael Walker - 28 years
Brian Ashton - 26 years
Frank Di Giorgio - 25 years
Gloria Lindsay Luby - 25 years
Bill Saundercook - 25 years
Maria Augimeri - 22 years
Doug Holyday - 22 years
Ron Moeser - 22 years
Frances Nunziata - 22 years
Case Ootes - 22 years

With Pam McConnell's "ticket", Mayor Miller, leaving, I am wondering if McConnell will retire from City Hall politics.

There is the chance that Smitherman (should he win) would be kind to Pam due to previous affiliations in City Hall, but then again, he may sense the need for fresh blood.

Do Smitherman and McConnell have any kind of working relationships? Smitherman lives in her ward.

The Star is reporting that Jane Pitfield wants to worm her way back into council via Ootes' ward.

How many years for Councillor Pam McConnell?

Compared to that lot McConnell is a relatively recent arrival at 16 years on council. This is just slightly above the council average of 14.7 years.

The Star is reporting that Jane Pitfield wants to worm her way back into council via Ootes' ward.

She can try, but she didn't win that ward when she ran for mayor in 2006. It is also a part of the city that has been trending to the left in recent years.

Just out of interest here are the longest serving members of the current city council:

Howard Moscoe - 32 years
Joe Pantalone - 30 years
Michael Walker - 28 years
Brian Ashton - 26 years
Frank Di Giorgio - 25 years
Gloria Lindsay Luby - 25 years
Bill Saundercook - 25 years
Maria Augimeri - 22 years
Doug Holyday - 22 years
Ron Moeser - 22 years
Frances Nunziata - 22 years
Case Ootes - 22 years

Does anyone know if any of the above besides Oates is quitting. Please, please step away and let real people with fresh ideas take over.

If anyone can tell me what any of the above have done since the last election to actually improve their elected wards\City of Toronto, you will leave me speechless.

I know Mr. Pants solved some major issues around Stratchan Ave related to the Pearson Rail Link. But what about the others???

I happen to like Howard Moscoe, the person, though I was not a big fan of him as TTC Chair. He's a really decent guy with his heart in the right place, though that in itself doesn't always work for him.

Sandercook is someone else who's a genuinely nice guy, though I don't agree with a lot of his politics. He did not serve those 25 years straight though, he lost and came back between 2000 and 2003.

I'm pretty indifferent to all the deadweights though, like Lindsay Luby, Di Giorgio, Mosher. Nunziata is past per political prime (she was once remarkable, back in the City of York days), and Augimeri, while a nice lady, isn't the most effective pol in the clam. Holyday is a relatively harmless right-winger (though past his prime too), and don't care much for Pantalone.

I'm not one who is much in favour of term limits, even if it was to be rid of deadweights. If a politician is great for the ward, why have to give him or her up after 8 or 12 years? I'm thinking of the Mihevcs out there in particular. With the end of corporate and union financing, I have some hope some of the advantages that the deadweight incumbents have are lost.

Last edited:

Back