News   May 07, 2024
 174     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 212     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 740     3 

Toronto Council Races - 2010

A few observations on east end wards.

Ward 32 - It seems like Bussin vs. MMM will come down to what side of Kingston Road comes out to vote tomorrow. MMM signs are plastered all over the East Lynne Park area, which I recall was a sea of Bussin signs this time four years ago. Yet south of Kingston Road Bussin still seems strong. It is important to note as well that MMM's key constituency in the Woodbine/Danforth area borders Ward 31, making what support she has on the other side of Danforth unheard on election day. This one will come down to the wire.

Ward 31 - a cake walk for Janet Davis.

Ward 29 - This one will be interesting. Despite Jennifer Wood's big endorsements from the papers, it seems like this is between Jane Pitfield and Mary Fragedakis. The last time a Greek left-winger ran in this ward, she came 20 votes from unseating the incumbent Case Ootes. Yet a strong Jack Layton-endorsement probably doesn't fare that well in the current political climate, especially considering some 80% of the Toronto-Danforth NDP machine is in Paula Fletcher's ward. I say Pitfield wins this one in a tight race.

Ward 30 - Contrary to what Sue Ann Levy might claim, I think Paula Fletcher will keep her seat. Liz West is being touted as the Adam Vaughn of the right but does not seem to have same traction and across-the-board admiration that gave Vaughn his momentum. There is a huge NDP machine in this ward. Layton represented this area municipally and federally he won almost every poll in the ward last election. I say Fletcher wins fairly comfortably.

Last edited:
A few observations on east end wards.
Ward 29 - This one will be interesting. Despite Jennifer Wood's big endorsements from the papers, it seems like this is between Jane Pitfield and Mary Fragedakis.

What gives you that impression? Wood seems to have the most support around here, on Broadview.

What gives you that impression? Wood seems to have the most support around here, on Broadview.

True, I know she lives in the Jackman school district, so I'm not surprised a lot of her support is concentrated in that area. However, from what I have noticed from my travels in Ward 29, my home ward, the support for Fragedakis and Pitfield, in both signs and presence of canvassers is much more dispersed.

I saw Wood canvassing by herself (obviously a bad sign) while Pitfield was canvassing on Jackman and Arundel with an army of helpers.

wow.. I think Layton and McCormick completely underestimated the apathy of voters. Nobody actually goes to councillor candidate debates or does any research. I'm talking to some people in my building and the only candidate they've seen or heard of is Karen Sun... because she's the only candidate to have canvassed this building... so they voted for her.

It's the densest dwelling of Trinity-Spadina on Queen West. Why the heck would you leave it out?

Kristin Wong-Tam is an anti-Semite? Explain.

She has ties to QuAIA (Queers Against Israeli Apartheid). Sue-Ann Levy made a stink about it at one point during the campaign. BTW, I'm not calling her an anti-semite by any means, but that's what condovo is referring to.

Back