News   Jul 26, 2024
 304     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 804     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 699     1 

Toronto Council Races - 2010

Having moved into Ward 28, I'm wondering who to vote for. Pam McConnell isn't such a bad councillor, but I can't help but think that it's time for some fresh blood. Any opinions?

I'm in the same boat. I don't think there's any good alternatives to Pam. Of the five candidates running against her, only three of websites:

http://howardbortenstein.com/ - "Toronto Party" banner; advocates replacing streetcars with trolleybuses, etc.

http://www.danielmurton.ca/ - Seems like a nice enough guy. Manager of the Staples at (I think) King & Parliament. Can't spell very well.

http://rajrama.blogspot.com/ - Brutally bad website. Looks like he might be a "Rob Ford Party" candidate as his major platform planks are identical to Ford's.

It's too bad no one else is running. It'd be nice to hear people talking about the issues. Is McConnell even campaigning?

As for sleepy ward 4, Gloria Lindsay Luby has been councillor for 25 years. Only 2 others are running against her, and since they both sound like Fordite right-wing assholes, they won't be getting my vote even though I am kind of sick of her.

Having moved into Ward 28, I'm wondering who to vote for. Pam McConnell isn't such a bad councillor, but I can't help but think that it's time for some fresh blood. Any opinions?

Over two summers (summers of 2006 & 2007) I sent her a series of emails (including photos eventually to try and get someone's attention) and neither she nor her assistants ever contacted me by email or phone. I was reporting health and safety issues all along the north half of Hanlan's Point but she obviously didn't care so I gave up and don't go there anymore.

I
I was surprised when the audience booed Layton's endorsement of Joe Pantalone. Did that seem like a Ford/Smitherman crowd to you, MetroMan?

Not really. When (forgot his name) said he would vote for Rob Ford, the stares of disgust from the room nearly killed him. lol The funny thing is that Sean McCormack appeared to have the support of the crowd, yet he's just a skinnier more articulate Rob Ford. At least, around me, I noticed heavy applause for McCormack. I liked his charisma and passion for the neighbourhood but once I got to know his policies, he was out for me.

I'm going to take a closer look at Ted Footman, but my default candidate will be Karen Sun because I know she'll work at the constituent level and although she appears to have some learning to do, she will mature quickly in City Hall. She's smart and a hard worker.

I'm not going to dismiss Layton because I like what his parents have done for Toronto and we could use that kind of influence in City Hall. And it's not like he's coasting on his parents' connections: He's well versed in the issues of the ward, knows City Hall inside and out and, if elected, will make a competent councillor.

I'm glad I attended the debate as I've now narrowed it down to this definitive 3.

I was the nervous guy moderating that debate

Don't worry. You did great. You didn't come across as nervous until you pointed it out :p

I'm not necessarily for term-limits, but lifers like her make a great case for it.

Well, I was actively looking for someone else to vote for, but since no sane alternatives have appeared this time around, I guess
i'm forced to go with the incumbent.

The funny thing is that Sean McCormack appeared to have the support of the crowd, yet he's just a skinnier more articulate Rob Ford. At least, around me, I noticed heavy applause for McCormack. I liked his charisma and passion for the neighbourhood but once I got to know his policies, he was out for me.

I think all the candidates brought a cheering section. I was in the back, and the same people clapping for McCormick at the beginning (just for saying Hi) were the same people clapping at the end. I can't be sure, but I would say that Sun picked up some fans and so did Footman.

I was surprised to find myself liking McCormick. From his website and the disorganized candidate platform he gave to Inside Toronto, I expected him to come across as pretty clueless. In fact, he came across well -- charismatic, as you say. But he has too many Rob Ford-esque dealbreakers, and too many simplistic answers to complicated questions; eg: round up the homeless, or just rip up collective agreements and privatize garbage pickup, like it was that simple, even if it was desirable.

I can't vote for Layton, because he seems unable to acknowledge any problems with the way Pantalone handled issues like the Ossington moratorium, which suggests that he is too close to the existing establishment and perhaps shares its authoritarian tendencies. And I just don't think he is experienced enough. I mean, I really can't imagine him swinging any votes on a more conservative council. He seems more comfortable preaching to the choir.

My slight willingness to consider voting for Sean McCormick is now gone. His endorsements page is a rogue's gallery of lobbyists, notorious trough-feeders and right-wing ideologues. Only John Tory can claim respectability, and he does not live in the ward. Wasn't Tom Jakobek or Chris Korwin-Kuczynski available to endorse?

Any thoughts on Ward 29? I'm not sure who I will vote for, but do know it won't be Mike Restivo. I've seen him posting on The Star's comments section in regards to Ford's budget and he's a through-and-through Rob Ford fanatic, and if he can't see the fallacies in that budget plan, an idiot too.

Toronto Danforth is very interesting.

TO the north, you have Jennifer Wood (liberal), Jane Pitfield (conservative), and Gina Fragenadis (NDP) 2 hot women !

in the south...LIz West, Mark Dewdney, and dam old dam, fletcher...(yuck)

I'm hoping at least one hottie gets elected!

Toronto Danforth is very interesting.

TO the north, you have Jennifer Wood (liberal), Jane Pitfield (conservative), and Gina Fragenadis (NDP) 2 hot women !

in the south...LIz West, Mark Dewdney, and dam old dam, fletcher...(yuck)

I'm hoping at least one hottie gets elected!
I find this kind of discrimination really disgusting. We are supposed to elect people based on prejudice and bigotry?

I find this kind of discrimination really disgusting. We are supposed to elect people based on prejudice and bigotry?
I was being facetious, but since you brought it up...

Exact same discrimination of calling Rob Ford fat and stupid?

Love living in Vaughn's ward. Knowing you have the best councilor in the city makes it so much easier to vote.

Back