Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

What's with the monolith beside the building? Reminds me of the new Vaughan Civic Centre.

This is the same Diamond that designed our new ugly Opera House? If so, geez, what do you expect!

This project should be renamed from "Project Symphony" to "Project Sympathy". My condolences.

Toronto is fast to become the "ugliest architecture town" of this universe. Too many of them...

I'd like to see a better rendering, but I'm not at all impressed. One would expect something better for $140 million.

It has a very Silicone Valley feel to it that does nothing to enhance the waterfront. I agree that it's not bad, but something better should have been designed for the waterfront. I'll hold back from further statements until we get a better look at it.

CanadianNational, great letter.

I attended last night out of personal interest, not professional duty. Apart from the one guy cited in the Post piece, pretty much nobody criticized the design at the meeting itself.

And so, near the end, I piped up, because otherwise they would have been able to say - pretty honestly - that the public consultations hadn't yielded much criticism.

In the last thread on this subject, I seem to recall a degree of rumbling that people should attend, so as to have a say in this that wouldn't just be limited to complaining on an Internet forum. Obviously some did, but even so, nobody to gave voice to the concerns mentioned here. So... guys, where were you?

And so, near the end, I piped up, because otherwise they would have been able to say - pretty honestly - that the public consultations hadn't yielded much criticism.

How did they respond to you?

Regardless of the fact that this is intended to look like an office building that faces the lake, and indeed looks like an office building that faces the lake, and takes advantage of the lakeside location quite sensibly - though not in the "iconic" manner apparently mandated - there are overarching jurisdictional issues that take priority over any of this and ought to be sorted out soon.

One suspects that Bruce Kuwabara and the design review panel are livid at this end run. It is a slap in the face to their authority and will thwart their ability to work on our behalf in future.

Over to them, I suspect ...

How did they respond to you?

Oh, they just stared. (This was in the audience-feedback part, not the Q&A.)

I just wanted to get those concerns on the record. They've got floorplans and watercolours, probably working drawings; they want to be in the ground in July. They're not going to be reimagining this project based on a public meeting.

Is TEDCO going to run opposition to the TWRC at every opportunity? This was done with the blessing of council?

One wonders if, with respect to the waterfront, defeat is about to be snatched from the jaws of victory.

CanadianNational, great start to the letter, but I'm in favour of much stronger language. That was too diplomatic.

The Brampton Waterfront comment was hilarious.

As for others calling for a better renderings, a few new pictures isn't going to dramatically change its look. The design is CRAP, full stop!

I got to question, where does Miller stand on all of this?

I visited Melbourne's Docklands earlier this month, which is very similar to Toronto's Waterfront, and we can take a lot of cues from them in terms of design for new commerical buildings. Every new building held up to design excellence. This is our opportunity to create something special on our waterfront, not to develop another business park.

Again, where is the MUNICIPAL LEADERSHIP in all of this? If we are suppose to have this new Strong-Mayor system in the city of Toronto, where is David Miller? The same guy who demanded a seat on the TWRC Board. Why isn't he being held accountable?

Louroz

SNF:

They're not going to be reimagining this project based on a public meeting.

The "meeting" is a sham - obviously, it's a PR exercise to solicit buy-in more than anything else (and that's nothing new). Thus, it'd be patently pointless to express concerns at the event. Far more useful to target the behind the scene actors instead.

I wonder if there is any Miller-Diamond "nudge nudge wink wink" one can exploit from a journalistic perspective.

AoD

FM: Have you recently become a citizen of Toronto? It is somewhat interesting to see you express continual criticism for Miller at most anything he does, or doesn't do. Yet Hazel seems to do no wrong despite the fact when it comes to regional issues and cooperation on GTA wide projects, she has most certainly done more to slow and halt the process than most any other GTA politician.

Back