Vaughan Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital | ?m | 11s | Plenary Health | Stantec

Patient care at risk in Vaughan hospital dispute, CEO says (from The Star: link)

Patient care for residents in Vaughan and neighbouring communities could be at risk if an ongoing land dispute around the Vaughan hospital is not resolved immediately, says Altaf Stationawala, the president and CEO of Mackenzie Health, who is leading the hospital project.
The land dispute between the City of Vaughan, and a third party, the Vaughan Health Campus of Care (VHCC), has already bogged down the project for the past four years.
Stationwala says the negotiations must be resolved in coming weeks, or the hospital could be pushed beyond its 2019 completion target date.

With a population of more than 300,000 people, Vaughan is believed to be one of Canada’s largest cities without its own hospital. Residents currently rely on Etobicoke General in Toronto or Mackenzie Health in Richmond Hill if they need urgent care — a move that both residents and hospital officials say isn’t sustainable in the long term.

The city’s hospital dreams began more than a decade ago, and the province officially gave their nod to a hospital in Vaughan in 2007. In 2009, local residents began to foot the $80-million bill for the 32-hectare site at Jane and Major Mackenzie Sts. and will be paying for the land through a surcharge on their property taxes until 2022.
But since then, the city has been unable to find common ground between the VHCC, a group headed by developer Michael DeGasperis, which entered into a legally binding agreement with the city when it helped broker the land in 2009 and Mackenzie Health, which was given a provincial mandate to build the hospital in 2011.

Vaughan's hospital project comes to life
Land deal negotiated this week means deadlocked project can now move forward (see link)
mvhrenderingorangeside.jpg

The city of Vaughan's long awaited hospital project is finally coming to fruition.
The city announced late Thursday afternoon that it has struck a deal that will allow Infrastructure Ontario to begin to receive proposals for construction of the new hospital in the next few weeks.
The project had been on hold for years as the city tried to find common ground between Mackenzie Health, a group with a provincial mandate to build the hospital and a local group, Vaughan Health Campus of Care, that had helped acquire the 32-hectare site near Major Mackenzie Dr and Jane St. in 2009.
“It’s great news for the city of Vaughan and the citizens because the hospital is going to be built,” said Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua. “We can now work together to provide the services that the people of this city deserve and need,” he said.
With a population of more than 300,000 people, Vaughan is believed to be one of Canada’s largest cities without its own hospital. Residents currently rely on neighbouring facilities for care.

Attachments

• mvhrenderingorangeside.jpg
    mvhrenderingorangeside.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,438
Vaughan Metropolitan Centre could have been given a big boost had this hospital been proposed over there, where it also would have been next to transit and two highways. The same could be said about the new city hall. What a missed opportunity.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre could have been given a big boost had this hospital been proposed over there, where it also would have been next to transit and two highways. The same could be said about the new city hall. What a missed opportunity.

I sort of get that, but I doubt that the Ministry of Health or IO would have approved a mega-hospital so close to the recently built Humber Hospital at Keele & Wilson.

So is this hospital actually funded?

I keep reading area politicians optimistically claiming it will be built, but I don't recall it receiving all the necessary funding to make it happen.

I recall they received funding for design but that was all. I don't think the property tax levy alone will be sufficient.

So is this hospital actually funded?

I keep reading area politicians optimistically claiming it will be built, but I don't recall it receiving all the necessary funding to make it happen.

I recall they received funding for design but that was all. I don't think the property tax levy alone will be sufficient.

There's funding from Ministry of Health for it.

All I recall is that they have made promises only.

Infrastructure Ontario has already shortlisted companies to design and build it so there must be funding in place and I doubt that it would be cancelled at this point. The only thing holding it up was the issue with the land which seems to have been settled as of today.

I sort of get that, but I doubt that the Ministry of Health or IO would have approved a mega-hospital so close to the recently built Humber Hospital at Keele & Wilson.

Close as in toronto general hospital, Mount Sinai, Toronto Western, etc

email_banner_EN.gif
nr-heading-en.gif

News Release

Ontario Taking Next Step to Build a New Hospital in Vaughan
June 29, 2015

Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital Project Moving Ahead
Ontario is moving forward to improve access to hospital services for patients in Vaughan with the release of a request for proposals to the three teams shortlisted to design, build, finance and maintain the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital project.

Through this project, patients in Vaughan will benefit from:

• A state-of-the-art emergency department
  • Modern surgical services and operating rooms
  • Advanced diagnostic imaging
  • Specialized ambulatory clinics and intensive care beds
  • Acute-care patient rooms, of which approximately 90 per cent will be single-occupancy to prevent and control infections
  • Integrated "smart" digital technology systems
Infrastructure Ontario and Mackenzie Health announced that the shortlisted teams that have been invited to bid on the new hospital project include Hospital Infrastructure Partners, Mackenzie Vaughan Health Partnership and Plenary Health. The teams were selected following a request for qualifications process that began in March 2014. The winning group is expected to be announced in spring 2016, with construction scheduled to follow soon after.

Ontario's long-term infrastructure plan will help connect regions, develop new economic opportunities and improve quality of life for Ontarians by supporting critical infrastructure projects in cities, towns, and rural and remote communities all across the province.

This project is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.

QUICK FACTS
  • Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history — more than $130 billion over ten years, which will support more than 110,000 jobs per year on average.
  • A Conference Board of Canada report estimated that Ontario’s public infrastructure investment would add more than $1,000 to the average annual income of Ontarians in 2014 and lower the unemployment rate by about one percentage point.
  • The Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will be the first new hospital in Southwest York Region, one of the fastest growing communities in Canada, in 50 years.
  • Infrastructure Ontario and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working with Mackenzie Health to build the new facility, which will be publicly owned, publicly controlled and publicly accountable.
  • Mackenzie Health is a regional health care provider that includes Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and the future Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital as well as a network of community-based services in Southwest York Region and beyond.
  • With over 500,000 residents in Southwest York Region, Mackenzie Health serves one of the fastest growing and most diverse communities in Canada.

While this is good news for Vaughan, the location is awful. The need for a hospital is further south. There is already York Central at Bathurst and Major Mackenzie. To build one at Keele is only 4-5km away. The hospital should have been closer to Highway 7 and be closer to transit. The main demand is coming from Thornhill and Woodbridge. Thornhill has many high rises with a high senior population near Promenade mall area. This hospital would be too far for them.

The new hospital at Keele and Wilson site is more than 12km from this site. The new hospital is great for Maple residents and hopefully it will divert enough residents from West and south Vaughan to let York central become more manageable.

Close as in toronto general hospital, Mount Sinai, Toronto Western, etc
You cannot legitimately compare the density of hospitals in downtown Toronto to hospitals in the suburbs. Using hospital density in downtown as a benchmark for hospital spacing in the suburbs is beyond silly.

And those are teaching hospitals with specific specialities, co-located for agglomeration effects and efficiencies (e.g. PMH have almost no operating theatres - they use the ones at TGH).

AoD

This location makes a lot of sense to me. Major Mac is very close to HWY7 - a mere 5 km to the new downtown Vaughan is building. And if you look north there's no medical facility up to Newmarket.

Jane/Major Mack is a good site. Right off the 400, lots of room for expansion, serves both Maple and Woodbridge relatively well, and close enough to King City, Nobleton and even Bolton.

As for the lack of transit, that's entirely on York Region Transit, whose service levels are awful. A frequent bus (Viva) route, running every 10-15 minutes, 7 days a week, should operate from the new Vaughan subway up Jane, serving Vaughan Mills and this new hospital site. Brampton or Mississauga could be trusted to do this.

Back