Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

Some pictures from Thursday, March 2, along with a couple of questions. The first two photos show the general state of the excavation activities at the east end of the site. The third and fourth photos show some of the dewatering equipment and piping at the site. A bit of a surprise to see, as the site is a high point of the land in the area, sloping down on the north to the rail bed and sloping down to the south towards Lake Shore Blvd. I would not think there are any underground streams running through here - would there be a local, site specific reason for the dewatering to be needed? The second question pertains to the shoring procedure - while the shoring has been done on the north, east and south sides of the site using conventional shoring equipment, the west side of the site, along Spadina, has the drilling being done using different equipment. Would there be specific conditions (e.g. utilities) which would require the different approach?

Any insights from an engineering or construction perspective would be appreciated.

Some pictures from Thursday, March 2, along with a couple of questions. The first two photos show the general state of the excavation activities at the east end of the site. The third and fourth photos show some of the dewatering equipment and piping at the site. A bit of a surprise to see, as the site is a high point of the land in the area, sloping down on the north to the rail bed and sloping down to the south towards Lake Shore Blvd. I would not think there are any underground streams running through here - would there be a local, site specific reason for the dewatering to be needed? The second question pertains to the shoring procedure - while the shoring has been done on the north, east and south sides of the site using conventional shoring equipment, the west side of the site, along Spadina, has the drilling being done using different equipment. Would there be specific conditions (e.g. utilities) which would require the different approach?

Any insights from an engineering or construction perspective would be appreciated.

View attachment 177841

View attachment 177842

View attachment 177843

View attachment 177844

View attachment 177845

1. The bottom of the excavation will likely be below the Lake level (~75 masl), so it makes sense to have the dewatering equipment.
  2. There is s large CSO sewer running under the east side of Spadina. My guess is that the anchors for the soldier piles used on the other three sides cannot be installed with that sewer there. TTC is usually sensitive about streetcar ROW's, so that may be a factor as well. They're probably using a caisson wall on that side.

does anyone how deep the excavation would be for a tower this high? I know there are supposed to be 6 levels of u/g parking + above ground parking. Seems also like way too much parking for such a central location.

There are 674 parking spaces proposed for 1373 units. The residential supply is proposed to be 0.41 spaces a unit, with some more parking for visitor and office.

While not super high, it is above the downtown average. I imagine this condo will attract quite a lot of suburban commuters however (have suburban jobs but want to live downtown) due to its easy Gardiner access.

Viewing those photos you'd never know you were in downtown Toronto. It could easily pass for a residential block off the 401.

I sincerely think City Place was supposed to be given to several Developers to enhance design competition as opposed to allowing Concord to build several Glass slabs similar to 70s style apartment buildings

Giving over an entire area to one developer rarely ends in optimal results; even in the West Donlands. The buildings all look like they were cut from the same cloth. It's a little insipid. This area is probably the worst of the worst downtown.

Christ, can they build this disaster already? Let's just get over with it.
Hopefully they go really, really slow with this. To the point that whenever this supposed housing market crash hits, this garbage currently known as "canada house" will be financially nonviable to proceed with ;)

Hopefully they go really, really slow with this. To the point that whenever this supposed housing market crash hits, this garbage currently known as "canada house" will be financially nonviable to proceed with ;)
Gee lol, so you would rather see a housing market crash than see this dead zone developed with retail, office and residential
.., not everything that works has to have superior architecture?

Back