Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

March 28:

20240328_140303.jpg

Wow again?? These idiots are going to get someone killed.

First, materials blowing off wildly, then a substantial fire, and now this? All within one year. There's a significant amount of stupidity at hand here.
Wait, what? Has this happened before? How have they not been fired?! I'm so glad no one got harmed, but this is still a safety hazard. Someone could have been significantly hurt or even worse. They could've lost their lives.

It's ok everyone im sure everything is going to be A-ok now that the GC has "assured us" that this incident wont happen again in their statement from today:

"Safety is our highest priority. We are, of course, concerned by this incident and the people affected on the ground. We are thankful that there were no serious injuries".

Sometimes I wish there was a way to put in a conditional lawsuit on a company for gross negligence before any serious incident ever occurs. Clearly safety is not their highest priority.

Wow again?? These idiots are going to get someone killed.

First materials blowing off wildly, then a pretty substantial fire, and now this? All within a 1 year span. There's clearly a substantial amount of stupidity at hand here.

Some background from my perspective.

When Concord Adex came to Toronto and started the CityPlace development they hired professional general contractors. The initial buildings on Front Street, the Matrix (361 and 373 Front Street) and Apex (381 and 397 Front Street) were built by Toddglen construction. After these four buildings, which were quite slow builds, Concord Adex changed to having Ellis Don and PCL as their contractors of choice for their initial buildings south of the rail lines, starting with their buildings on the east side of Spadina.

Somewhere along the way, Concord Adex decided that, instead of paying fees to outside companies, to internalize their construction management - set up the department and recruited their own staff.

When starting from scratch, it takes a while for an organizational culture to gel - accepted standards of behaviour, safety attitudes and so on. In addition to the incidents at Concord Canada House, a worker was killed in a construction accident - a scaffolding collapse - at their Central building, 38 Widmar, on December 14, 2020.

What we are seeing here is a somewhat less than successful going in-house for large scale construction project management - combined with the Concord Adex longstanding focus on costs.

When Concord Adex came to Toronto and started the CityPlace development they hired professional general contractors. The initial buildings on Front Street, the Matrix (361 and 373 Front Street) and Apex (381 and 397 Front Street) were built by Toddglen construction. After these four buildings, which were quite slow builds, Concord Adex changed to having Ellis Don and PCL as their contractors of choice for their initial buildings south of the rail lines, starting with their buildings on the east side of Spadina.

Somewhere along the way, Concord Adex decided that, instead of paying fees to outside companies, to internalize their construction management - set up the department and recruited their own staff.

When starting from scratch, it takes a while for an organizational culture to gel - accepted standards of behaviour, safety attitudes and so on. In addition to the incidents at Concord Canada House, a worker was killed in a construction accident - a scaffolding collapse - at their Central building, 38 Widmar, on December 14, 2020.

What we are seeing here is a somewhat less than successful going in-house for large scale construction project management - combined with the Concord Adex longstanding focus on costs.
The constructor here is Reliance: https://www.relianceconstruction.co...nd-residential/details/310/?current_page=HOME

My mistake - I had thought that Reliance was the forming contractor. Did not realize they were GC for the project.

My understanding, from staff on site at Central, was that Concord was their own GC on that project.

Corcord's in house team is also CMing the concord sky project.

Last edited:

Thanks for the detals. Do you think we could see any consequences from the Ministry of Labour?

My mistake - I had thought that Reliance was the forming contractor. Did not realize they were GC for the project.

My understanding, from staff on site at Central, was that Concord was their own GC on that project.
As mentioned already Reliance is the GC for this, but nevertheless some great insights and background from you on this @AHK

Back