Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Would have been nice if the skating track was a water feature during the summer months- as of now it's almost a redundancy in terms of paving.

Would have been nice if the skating track was a water feature during the summer months- as of now it's almost a redundancy in terms of paving.
And watch it turn into what the previous water incarnation was? I'll pass on that one, i'm glad that idea didnt come to mind for them.

Just a quick note, I was finally in this space today, and decided to survey the trees, the vast majority appear very happy and healthy!

I figure one tree is a goner and 2 are showing some distress, but may recover.

Considering the number of trees that were planted, and the City's track record...........I'm happy to find something positive to say about this project.

The uneven growth pattern of the grass suggests that it's being used as a dog toilet, of course. :rolleyes:

The uneven growth pattern of the grass suggests that it's being used as a dog toilet, of course. :rolleyes:
All of our park renos need dog runs incorporated into them: they provide a spot for dogs to take care of business that doesn't absolutely prevent peeing on the grass, but it cuts the problem down to size. Anyone going to public consultations about a park reno should insist on a dog run if it's not already in the plans.

Everything turns into a dog toilet. Follow the egress to any newish park, and the first tree available will be dead or dying. Guess why? I don't understand why the city doesn't protect trees from dog urine. Maybe put up decorative posts at the entries of all parks which can serve us an output...

All of our park renos need dog runs incorporated into them: they provide a spot for dogs to take care of business that doesn't absolutely prevent peeing on the grass, but it cuts the problem down to size. Anyone going to public consultations about a park reno should insist on a dog run if it's not already in the plans.

Not a bad idea; also a good idea is to reduce the use of grass. No, not more pavement, but rather dog-urine (excess nitrogen) resistant plants.

Another key is keeping pets away simply during the establishment phase of plantings. Even a few weeks to extend roots deeper and wider will make plants more resistant.

Automatic irrigation is also hugely helpful. Aside from generally promoting healthy turf, it acts to wash away/dissipate dog urine or other contaminants. It also tends to discourage animals from using that spot as urinal while in operation.

Everything turns into a dog toilet. Follow the egress to any newish park, and the first tree available will be dead or dying. Guess why? I don't understand why the city doesn't protect trees from dog urine. Maybe put up decorative posts at the entries of all parks which can serve us an output...

Most established trees can deal urine w/o issue. Smaller trees w/less developed root systems will get into trouble. Even 1-year of root growth diminishes the risk of mortality substantially.

As such you don't necessarily need to cage landscapes areas off indefinitely, but temporary, if sturdy fences can be useful.

There are also non-fence barriers that can be used. These could include smells that would offend a dog and discourage it from being in proximity to said plants; you don't need high concentrations given dogs relatively better sense of smell.

Last edited:

There is a dog area with pea gravel (or pee gravel!) below the mural in Berczy Park . It is virtually unused by dogs and not signed so owners do not know what it's for.

There is a dog area with pea gravel (or pee gravel!) below the mural in Berczy Park . It is virtually unused by dogs and not signed so owners do not know what it's for.
As it doesn't look like the new dog runs in the other parks, naturally it needs to be signed.

Reactions: DSC
I wish the city would introduce micro or white clover into its sodded areas. Way more resistant to pee burns and I've always enjoyed the white flowers.

Yeah, well, I live near St. Andrew's Park where some owners regularly take their dogs into the children's play area to go. Unfortunately it's clear that far too many dog owners don't care where their dogs piss or crap.

Fake news. I use that park 2 times a day and always see other dog owners using it when I'm there.

Yeah, well, I live near St. Andrew's Park where some owners regularly take their dogs into the children's play area to go. Unfortunately it's clear that far too many dog owners don't care where their dogs piss or crap.
There are responsible and irresponsible dog owners, like there are good and bad drivers, good and bad cyclists, and bad Conservatives. If we do not build park facilities for dogs, then every park will be marked by dogs, but if we do build them, we'll cut way down on the issue. But, no, like Conservatives, there will always be some bad dog owners.

Like most things - we have laws, but they are never properly enforced. Banning wouldn't have done a thing when you can't even enforce littering.

AoD

Fake news. I use that park 2 times a day and always see other dog owners using it when I'm there.
Yes, it IS used but from my daily observations there are still MANY more owners who let their dogs use the lawns. Though I do not expect 100% compliance, a proper "Dog Area" sign really might help.

Back