Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Sites' becoming more active; from just now:
20180524_181008.jpg
20180524_181011.jpg
20180524_181018.jpg

Attachments

• 20180524_181008.jpg
    20180524_181008.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 503
  • 20180524_181011.jpg
    20180524_181011.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 20180524_181018.jpg
    20180524_181018.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 512
Though I understand why the landscaping etc could not be done in winter I see no reason why the construction of the building - which seems to finally be enclosed (though not clad)- could not have proceeded. This really has been a terribly drawn-out project.

Though I understand why the landscaping etc could not be done in winter I see no reason why the construction of the building - which seems to finally be enclosed (though not clad)- could not have proceeded. This really has been a terribly drawn-out project.

No part of physical construction can not be done in winter.

What is affected is curing time for concrete and in some cases a heated tent may be needed for pouring and/or curing.

But it can be done, albeit at a cost of some extra $

That, however, is a clear reason to prioritize that work for fall, so that you can continue w/carpentry/roofing and fit-out through the winter.

By the way, landscaping in winter is excellent for the plants, provided the ground isn't frozen.

In Toronto it often doesn't freeze till Christmas and some years early January.

The obstacle to winter planting between November - January is typically that the nurseries have sold off or replanted any potted stock and shut-down for the year.

Sod is a bit tougher, because sod farms don't want to try and 'roll the carpet' once frost/freezing is kicking in; semi-solid ground can result in poor adherence, and may dry-out the sod some.

I think it's sad that the number of trees in the landscape design rendering is far less than what is actually being implemented. For instance, the north/south connection point from Gerrard Street to the park between Aura & The Liberties is devoid of green, despite the renderings posted at the site clearly showing a row of shade trees. It looks like a long concrete runway (will have to take a photo the next time I pass through for proof) with zero warmth or interest. Overall, no shade will be found in this park for a long time, and perhaps by the time the tiny saplings grow to a reasonable size, it will be time to rip everything out again to re-do the parking garage membrane.

Aside from the incredible delays in getting this park finished, I'm not impressed by how the plan has been executed to date. Lots of corners being cut, and that's disappointing because this park is one of the few green public spaces amongst an amazingly dense residential, commercial & public sector neighbourhood, and it needs as many resources as it can get.

Back