Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Exactly my point. But there seems to be a few people that want to report it to the historical board and planning department because it alters the original CN tower. They remind me of the architect of Roy Thompson hall complaining about the Toronto symphony changing the interior of the hall so they actually sound good. Sometimes changes to buildings are good.

That's not your point. Do we know the changes will be good (beyond what's believed to be good on the part of CLC)? Do you know that this will be one of the instances of that "sometime"? And in this instance, there isn't even a hint of public knowledge about this - unlike the fairly openly discussed Roy Thompson Hall interior changes.

Also, given the quality of the changes to CN Tower, particularly the ground pavilion - it's more than fair to look at the proposal by CLC with a more critical eye.

AoD

That's not your point. Do we know the changes will be good (beyond what's believed to be good on the part of CLC)? Do you know that this will be one of the instances of that "sometime"? And in this instance, there isn't even a hint of public knowledge about this - unlike the fairly openly discussed Roy Thompson Hall interior changes.

Also, given the quality of the changes to CN Tower, particularly the ground pavilion - it's more than fair to look at the proposal by CLC with a more critical eye.

AoD
This is a pointless argument it's like the discussion about the Rogers centre the owners of it will do what they see fit to do with it.

The CN Tower is owned by the government. We're the owners.
The government may own it but that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to make changes to it. Like for example have you seen what they are doing at parliament hill well they renovate the centre block?

The government may own it but that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to make changes to it. Like for example have you seen what they are doing at parliament hill well they renovate the centre block?

Do we know that we will end up with a product of the same quality? Like the ground floor pavilion being an example of such? You are equivocating being careful to making changes through public scrutiny to making no changes at all, and that's what the issue is about.

AoD

Do we know that we will end up with a product of the same quality? Like the ground floor pavilion?

AoD
Since it looks like that they are going with full length panes of glass that probably weren't available when it was first built then yeah. I personally have no complaints about the CN tower or the entrance.

Since it looks like that they are going with full length panes of glass that probably weren't available when it was first built then yeah. I personally have no complaints about the CN tower or the entrance.

It looks? Do we know the tint? Renderings of how it will fit the overall look of the tower? I won't be surprised it doesn't turn out to be an aesthetic disaster, but it would help to have independent eyes looking at these types of changes from a heritage perspective.

As to the base pavilion, I am afraid you will find much detraction from your position.

AoD

It looks? Do we know the tint? Renderings of how it will fit the overall look of the tower? I won't be surprised it doesn't turn out to be an aesthetic disaster, but it would help to have independent eyes looking at these types of changes from a heritage perspective.

As to the base pavilion, I am afraid you will find much detraction from your position.

AoD
I hate to break it to you but I don't think many people really care what it looks like or what the entrance Pavilion looks like. It's the same as subway stations most people don't pay attention to what it looks like.

I hate to break it to you but I don't think many people really care what it looks like or what the entrance Pavilion looks like. It's the same as subway stations most people don't pay attention to what it looks like.

If you default to "most people", then why bother even trying to do better? Quoting me what West Block at Parliament Hill was like in that case would be utterly vacuous as an argument because hardly anyone cared about that either.

AoD

If you default to "most people", then why bother even trying to do better?

AoD
Because there will always be one group of people that will complain about it because they don't like it. For example people will complain about the new Samsung store at the Eaton centre because they wanted an apple store there instead. I just don't see a point to your argument on the changes to the CN tower other than you don't like it.

I think there should be a discussion to what changes are made. But sometimes changes are good. I really enjoy the "crown" lighting they added recently.

I think there should be a discussion to what changes are made. But sometimes changes are good. I really enjoy the "crown" lighting they added recently.

the white lighting? I cant stand that! lol
I'm pretty sure it's on there because of the edge walk but it distracts from the other colourful lighting that only shows up on the surface that it's being directed at.

From what I can tell, the bottom ring will disappear entirely and the middle ring will be a narrow sliver. The face of the observation deck will be mostly black windows. This is a major change in the look of the tower. Those rings dominate the face of the observation deck, shining against the sun. It gives the tower its metallic appearance.

That this has had no public input or city oversight is outrageous!

CN-Tower-Toronto-ON-travel-14.jpg

Back