Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

No reason to not hammer away at them. They could eventually replace all of the glass with floor to ceiling, or at least install it in such a way that there's symmetry again. If we're persistent enough, they'll get tired of the negative media and make plans to correct it.
Unfortunately stuff like that doesn't relly work anymore as statistically for every negative or positive comment about something there are more poel that don't care enough ether way to comment about it. Although I would rather see them replace all of the glass at this point which is the most likely scenario we need to accept that it's been done and won't be charged back because a few people don't like it. It's like the same debate going on about the crystal at the ROM some ple love it and some poel hate it, they aren't likely going to spend the money to remove it altogether just because of the poel that don't like it.

The ROM analogy is ridiculous. There's no comparison at the ROM with what's going on at the CN Tower, as there is no chance that the crystal is going away: it would costs a couple hundred million dollars to remove it, minimum. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. The CN Tower's window replacements are relatively easy in comparison.

Meanwhile, the ability of people to achieve change has never been greater. Concerted efforts are required, but an argument that hits home for enough people will eventually win the day.

The ROM analogy is ridiculous. There's no comparison at the ROM with what's going on at the CN Tower, as there is no chance that the crystal is going away: it would costs a couple hundred million dollars to remove it, minimum. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. The CN Tower's window replacements are relatively easy in comparison.

Meanwhile, the ability of people to achieve change has never been greater. Concerted efforts are required, but an argument that hits home for enough people will eventually win the day.

Nope it's the same they aren't going to change it because some people on a forum are upset that they don't like it and weren't consulted about it. Your acting exactly like the people that think that preserving the Sam the record man sign was a good idea and that somehow tourists will care about it. Guess what they won't care about what the outside looks like after they see the inside of it.

Last edited:
Nope it s the same they aren't going to change it because some people on a forum are upset that they don't like it and weren't consulted about it. Your acting exactly like the people that think that preserving the Sam the record man sign was a good idea and that somehow tourists will care about it. Guess what they won't care about what the outside looks like after they see the inside of it.

It's all drivel, and so painful to attempt to decipher.

The CN Tower needs to be significantly improved to prevent it from becoming a mere C$35 elevator ride.

The SkyPod needs to have washrooms as well, since the Willis/Sears Tower now has public washrooms higher than the CN Tower's current highest public washrooms.

Oh, and the Bathurst Quay Tower proposal would bring competition to the CN Tower.

CLC should extend the CN Tower's antenna as well. It needs to be such that the CN Tower becomes at least one metre taller than Burj Khalifa.

I wouldn't call it "defeatist" - because that assumes the position taken was a fallback to what was considered undesirable - I would call it an argument used to stonewall calls for change.

AoD

Good point. It's also ignorant of the manner in which a good amount of political change -- in Toronto as elsewhere -- occurs; politicians react to issues when enough (or the "right") people cause enough of a stink.

Good point. It's also ignorant of the manner in which a good amount of political change -- in Toronto as elsewhere -- occurs; politicians react to issues when enough (or the "right") people cause enough of a stink.

Also, CN Tower is our Eiffel Tower - one shouldn't mess with it without care, and for an quasi-arms length organ of the Federal Government to do so without public input is unacceptable.

AoD

Though I do think it is a shame to mess up exterior symmetry, I think that it is nice that they have made an attempt to make the experience more pleasant for those with mobility issues. The window ledges were pretty outdated.

Sure, but considering it is such an iconic structure and visible symbol for the city it is more the lack of any public consultation that is bothersome. There may have been other solutions to the gaps in the bands in order to facilitate better views. I believe I read that there will be more changes over the next three years, I wonder what those are?

Though I do think it is a shame to mess up exterior symmetry, I think that it is nice that they have made an attempt to make the experience more pleasant for those with mobility issues. The window ledges were pretty outdated.

I think most of us who have issues with how this is done can accept that the end goal of increased accessibility and "freshness" isn't a bad one - nor the wall to ceiling approach, which is demonstrably good. The issue how it is done, and why alternatives - such as recladding the entire band - isn't discussed publicly and implemented. This is the highest profile public building in Toronto - it deserves better.

AoD

For sure, but the key is that the two things aren't (or at least shouldn't be) mutually exclusive. There is both a process and a design problem here, and a better approach should've been very easy to take.

Back