Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

It's not just your opinion, but mine as well.

Mozo like buildings (with similar buildings being built outside the district to form a larger neighbouhood) would've been a far better option than these ridiculously out of place glass towers.

Are we prepared to go as a far as "Marilyn?" It's been a big debate in my mind. The city needs all types of things.

Very interesting quote, imo.....could Mr. Clewes be considering something a little more radical than his current projects? That would definitely be interesting...

It seems to me that the developer went into this project with the ultimate goal of selling a certain number of units -- if they had not been able to reach that number, they probably would not have bothered with it at all, leaving the historic district to continue to decay -- and to build that number with low/mid-rise buildings would have required such a large footprint that much of the historic district would have had to be demolished to make room (remember, they can only build on land they own). Instead, by going tall, they restricted the footprint to three point towers with podiums, keeping the demolition to a minimum.

There were three options:

1) Do nothing, and allow the historic district to continue deteriorating.

2) Renovate, and add a large number of low/mid-rise condos, demolishing much of the historic district to make room.

3) Renovate, and add three point towers, demolishing a much smaller portion of the historic district.

To me, they made the right choice.

It seems to me that the developer went into this project with the ultimate goal of selling a certain number of units -- if they had not been able to reach that number, they probably would not have bothered with it at all, leaving the historic district to continue to decay -- and to build that number with low/mid-rise buildings would have required such a large footprint that much of the historic district would have had to be demolished to make room (remember, they can only build on land they own). Instead, by going tall, they restricted the footprint to three point towers with podiums, keeping the demolition to a minimum.

There were three options:

1) Do nothing, and allow the historic district to continue deteriorating.

2) Renovate, and add a large number of low/mid-rise condos, demolishing much of the historic district to make room.

3) Renovate, and add three point towers, demolishing a much smaller portion of the historic district.

To me, they made the right choice.

They're trying to make as much money as possible...that's fine, but then we can forgo the entire 'we should thank them for saving the district' argument.

Oh but they have saved the district.

Just as Gehry - the anti-Palladio - took the AGO's neo-Classical Walker Court as the starting point for his new gallery spaces, so Clewes is considering the values that buildings like 'Marilyn' represent - standing out loudly against context rather than fitting into it - and how neo-Modernism accommodates to them.

Still, his tall/short, glass/brick, new/old contrast at the Distillery District creates something entirely new from the district and is also based in part on the new structures standing out.

And there is a similarity in all those sleek Clewes point towers, obviously. They'll eventually punctuate our skyline like the spires of Wren churches once stood out on London's horizon, and will form their own context as the eye scans the horizon of our city.

You can spin it anyway you'd like, but they're no different than any other developer. The District was "saved" to become an expanded retail/activity centre for their condo project. They're even tearing down part of the District for it.

I was just thinking how great it could have been to put BMO field next to the distillery. Imagine the distillery full of TFC fans filling every large patio in the area. It could have been part of a great sports district and would have attracted enough patrons to turn this area in to a great restaurant location. While I love all the shops in there, I think it probably could have excelled even more if every spot in there was a restaurant. Though it might end up feeling like a disney village...

BMO Field + the Distillery; sounds kinda like Baltimore's Camden Yards' relationship to the old B&O Warehouse...

Just stumbled upon this thread and the arguments are interesting. I was in the distillery a couple days ago and while I originally didn't care for the condos being built, I must say that the new building seems to "fit" very well into the context of the distillery and provides a nice modern contrast while still fitting within the historicity of the site. Although I wished they'd used real brick and not painted, pressed concrete.

To me though, the larger problem is...besides the distillery restaurants and shops...what else is there in terms of a neighbourhood? You're in the middle of nowhere. Closest grocery store you have to drive to or cross a major artery. No bars, clubs, smaller restos, galleries, theatres, video stores, etc. within easy walking distance. The distillery district itself is very small and I'd go insane living there.

Just as Gehry - the anti-Palladio - took the AGO's neo-Classical Walker Court as the starting point for his new gallery spaces, so Clewes is considering the values that buildings like 'Marilyn' represent - standing out loudly against context rather than fitting into it - and how neo-Modernism accommodates to them.

That certainly can be true but there is such a thing as going too far. The AGO is interesting because that stair is another example of fixing something that wasn't broken. Sure it will be a beautiful stair but Walker Court will be cease to be the space that it once was.

I was just thinking how great it could have been to put BMO field next to the distillery. Imagine the distillery full of TFC fans filling every large patio in the area. It could have been part of a great sports district and would have attracted enough patrons to turn this area in to a great restaurant location. While I love all the shops in there, I think it probably could have excelled even more if every spot in there was a restaurant. Though it might end up feeling like a disney village...

Nah, We're filling up and revitalizing Parkdale instead. :D

map.jpg

Back