Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

I was down there this morning ( checking out the 70% off racks at lileo ... ) and I noticed small clusters of grapes growing on the vines in the construction site at Cherry and Front. What a delightful city. In the Distillery, I noticed that they've put more of the old industrial machinery on display in the buildings, with signage explaining what these eccentric looking objects used to do.

We must destroy the grapes and rescue the city from this new invasion..... Death to grapes!!!!!!!!

Taken today from Sherbourne Commons:

distillery-27-08-2011.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like there should have no problem for the clear spirit to finish by 2012. My mother in law owned one of the unit and cannot wait to see it finished.

oh boy they're painting concrete.

you guys are happy now, but what will most likely happen in 5 years is that those paint will start peeling off and the condo corp will have to spend money repainting the entire thing and keep doing it for the existence of the building.

you guys are happy now, but what will most likely happen in 5 years is that those paint will start peeling off and the condo corp will have to spend money repainting the entire thing and keep doing it for the existence of the building.

Generally, nicer things tend to be more expensive to maintain.

Generally, nicer things tend to be more expensive to maintain.

"Nicer things"..... would be exposed architectural concrete (cleaner and more consistent than the concrete that is being painted here). Architectural concrete would need to be power-washed every couple of decades.

Last edited:
^^
And taking into account what usually happens with painted concrete buildings. The owners will likely choose to let it run its normal course of looking abysmal and not doing much about fixing it.

Even if the condo corp. does decide to fix the deterioration, it'll most likely be like what neubilder has mentioned; which is to power wash it away and not repaint it again. This would, in the end of things, make it looking like if they hadn't painted it in the first place.

I for one don't really mind the exposed concrete. it is what it is. and I am the greatest advocate for natural material appearances in architecture.

Last edited:

The paint they use lasts for much, much longer than that. In the building I'm in now balcony restorations were done in 1999 and the paint on the ceilings is still perfect, no problem or signs of any problems at all.

Back