Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

from today's Star....

Brewing some great artwork at ground level
March 7, 2009

Comments on this story (0)

Donna Jean MacKinnon

SPECIAL TO THE STAR
bc409009406caaeb3cc3183396b0.jpeg

From the get-go, Cityscape, the developer of Toronto's historic Distillery District, has visualized the site as a mecca for arts and culture, according to Mathew Rosenblatt, a Cityscape partner.

"First we dealt with infrastructure and getting tenants into the Pure Spirits condominium," he says. "Now we are ready for the aesthetics at The Distillery. This is the exciting part for us."

Cityscape has already commissioned a major public artwork that will cost in excess of $500,000. In the spring, Still Dancing by Dennis Oppenheim will be erected in the heart of the Distillery, opposite Balzac's Coffee.

Currently, some 30 shops, studios and galleries at ground level specialize in art and special crafts. And there are about 30 artists' studios on the upper floors, according to Rosenblatt.

Long-time tenants purveying art include the Sandra Ainsley Gallery – reputedly the top dealer in art glass in the country – and Jane Corkin's photographic gallery. Her gallery, housed in an old tank house where whiskey was kept for aging, has an exciting interior divided into a series of atmospheric tall and small spaces at different elevations.

"Each gallery has a different focus giving people exposure to so many ideas," Rosenblatt says. "I do a walk weekly, just to see what's new."

The developers recently created Distillery Lane, a passage leading to a public space in front of the Pure Spirits condo, where people will be able to interact with a rotating roster of art and sculpture provided by Distillery galleries such as the Meta Gallery.

In September, Jody Polishchuk opened the Meta Gallery on the ground floor of the Pure Spirits. He specializes in "visionary" artwork that is slightly surreal and off-beat. One of Meta's artists, Dean Chamberlain, employs an innovative photographic technique that involves five-hour exposures and gel application.

Polishchuk, 28, claims a lifetime passion for contemporary art. At 8, he was smitten by a shrink-wrapped print by M.C. Escher. Polishchuk spent the last decade learning about the art market and cultivating relationships with avant-garde artists. After exploring several North American cities, he decided Toronto was the place to be. Two years ago, Polishchuk approached John Berman (also a Cityscape partner) about his dream gallery and the Meta was born.

He describes the Cityscape partners as "true visionaries."

"They really, authentically, want to create a centre for arts and culture," says Polishchuk, whose interests bring a youthful edge to the assortment of galleries at the Distillery.

Another reason Polishchuk set up shop in the Distillery was because he found the rent there much lower per square foot compared to commercial spaces on trendy Queen St. W. He ended up with a pristine, wide-open 1,200-square-foot gallery.

"Being at the base of a condo is really great for walk-in traffic," Polishchuk says. "And it's strategic. People need art for their new homes."

Currently, the 32-storey Pure Spirits building is ready for occupancy up to the 25th floor and another gallery will soon open at the foot of the building, next door to the Meta.

The Distillery District's focus on art has become a successful model for other cities, according to Rosenblatt.

"Weekly, I speak to international people who want to copy our model," he says. "We always pitched it as our intention to build at the Distillery an arts community to benefit all."

That's not being turned into $1 million lofts????? Are they retarded? Those are probably 12 foot ceilings, solid brick construction, and really scarce these days. In London, they turn them into super high end pads and in Toronto they tear them down to build inferior quality $300,000 units? Good grief! These people can forget about ever getting me as a customer. This is obscene.

Actually the ceilings above the ground floor were quite low (7 feet?) as it was used to store barrels of alcohol, it would have been very difficult to turn into condos.

Actually the ceilings above the ground floor were quite low (7 feet?) as it was used to store barrels of alcohol, it would have been very difficult to turn into condos.

That's what I was thinking, too--a number of old G+W warehouses were like that...

That's not being turned into $1 million lofts????? Are they retarded?

Retarded would be paying a million dollars for a loft without a view; even of another brick wall.

Seeing the Incredible Bulk gradually bite the dust reminds me of when they dismantled that hideous chunk o' Gardiner in the east end and it felt like the sun had come out from behind the clouds. Even after all these years I still get a post-amputation "phantom limb" sensation whenever I visit that part of town, but my logical mind tells me that the mean old elevated expressway is a gonner for sure - at least in that part of town - and ain't coming back no more. Same goes for Rack House 'M' - ding-dong the witch is dead and we're getting another lovely condo point tower and podium to replace it.

Seeing the Incredible Bulk gradually bite the dust reminds me of when they dismantled that hideous chunk o' Gardiner in the east end and it felt like the sun had come out from behind the clouds. Even after all these years I still get a post-amputation "phantom limb" sensation whenever I visit that part of town, but my logical mind tells me that the mean old elevated expressway is a gonner for sure - at least in that part of town - and ain't coming back no more. Same goes for Rack House 'M' - ding-dong the witch is dead and we're getting another lovely condo point tower and podium to replace it.

No need to get all tumescent on us Shocker!

I'm pre-op. Talking of which ( see their films in the gallery ) I went to see the Pye's new show at Artcore earlier today. Did a double-take when I walked towards the former Canary and saw all this ( fake, movie set ) snow on the ground everywhere. It looks particularly odd with lovely flowering trees in the background.

Seeing the Incredible Bulk gradually bite the dust reminds me of when they dismantled that hideous chunk o' Gardiner in the east end and it felt like the sun had come out from behind the clouds.

With respect to Rack House M, it's going to be replaced by a tower. The appearance of sunlight will only be a temporary thing.

Back