Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

From one of the photos, its shows a ramp going to the west of the south section which is odd when it should be going to the east. No stairs due to accessibility issues and bikes.

Having said that, that will be a weeeeee!!! ride down on a slippy day and who going to clear the snow?

If this bridge is to open in Nov, you will be walking through the construction zone, since both projects will not be finish until late 2012 as plan. If the ramp was to the east, the construction zone would have less impact on the access to the bridge.

It was always planned to be west. The original location for the bridge pier/support was supposed to be west of where it is now. The bridge was supposed to go straight from Dan Leckie Way to Portland Street. Since GO/CN wanted the bridge to be higher and decided to place the pier in the location we see today, they had no choice but to use ramps to connect Portland to Dan Leckie.

As for accessibility issues, because a ramp is already being built, you can still have stairs exiting to the east. Its not a problem, just an added cost.

Regarding the name - which translates to "light bridge" or "bridge of light" - does anyone have any info on the lighting the bridge will utilize?

Here is a continuous video I shoot from 1:25 am to 1:52 am of the erection in fast speed under 2 minutes.
[video=youtube;Mp9S5vUi4lY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp9S5vUi4lY[/video]

Just keep on walkin!

it would be kinda weird crossing that bridge... there's absolutely nothing on the north side once you get there from cityplace. front street is completely barren in that area. i don't even think there's a sidewalk on that side of the street (south) where the bridge meets front.

i wonder what the city's plans are for that area... i know there have been many rumours here of the entire globe and mail site being redeveloped...

.....up Portland Street and you'll find what you're looking for!

.........goin up Portland Street!

...................I'd make my first stop at Bar Wellington and continue to the Biermarkt for dessert!

Parte dos

Pics taken Aug 11, 2011

hzrhC.jpg

Although your image doesn't show it all that clearly, Mark di Suvero's bright red sculpture makes a handsome mate for the bridge when you're on site.

http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/devnews/flowerpower0922.aspx

Curious to know why CN insisted this bridge be so much higher than the trains. It will be much more work to get across everyday for pedestrians.

I think it has to do with their (and GO's) 19th century signalling technology: the driver has to be able to see coloured lights a couple of kilometres down the line...

Last edited:
I also think that a higher bridge had to do with future electrification.

The original planned height took that into account. It was later determined that it would have to be built even higher to maintain sight lines for signals. Thats why the bridge was delayed for so long. A higher bridge meant it would cost more to build, and the City wanted Concord to front that cost.

Last edited:

Back