Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

I seem to remember it was nearly a year ago that we watched the bridge being lifted into place. They sure are taking their sweet time with this one.

So they're going to have a ceremonial opening, but the bridge still won't be open to the public at that point? Geeze, this is taking forever.

No kidding. I'd prefer to have it the other way around: unofficially open first, then a ceremonial opening.

Went by it again this morning. The mesh looks like rent-a-fence but it's not as awful as I thought it would look.

They could open it now - the walkway along the tracks on the north edge of cityplace east of the new bridge is completely finished. They could shift the construction fencing 10 metres and the bridge traffic could connect directly to the completed path. I'm sure it comes down to liability and the fact that Concord doesn't really give a #hit.

They are still installing the nighttime lighting and the handrails on the bridge… or at least they were when I visited it last week. The handrail system had to wait until that federally mandated (or is it GO's fault?) mesh went up.

Sure but work on the bridge has been sporadic. If they were motivated they could have completed those details months ago.

I won't pretend to know everything that has been going on behind the scenes, but it's disingenuous for any UT member who has been following this to discount the fact there is a live construction site to the immediate south, including overhead work, and opening before the site is safer simply complicates things for the developer. Unless there were financial penalties involved, any company is going to deliver this in a time frame that best suits their project in total.

Anyway, it will be great to have this open soon. Photo essay coming to the front page in the next week.

This bridge would probably be a huge deal on UT if we lived in a parallel universe where every building was black and white. Kinda like this :

cBQBZ.jpg

I know (the contrast between the sky and land suggests as much), but in real life that whole track allowance is pretty drab.

Back