429     0 

Toronto City Council By-Elections and Appointments 2014-2018 Term

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 2.16.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 2.16.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 2.16.36 PM.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 653
He already did ...

... do you not remember how that turned out?

I don't understand (well, I do) why people lose their head over this guy ...

I think right now, anyone who wants even a glimmer of progressive policies from City Hall is grasping at whatever scant potential hints of that they can find.

The only other names I consistently hear bandied about in a similar regard are Peter Sloly and Richard Peddie. From what I gather, there's a broader pool of progressives waiting until the next mayoral, when they assume folks will have grown extremely weary of two terms of Tory austerity.

And really...however much one wants to make an issue out of (or at least read an issue into) Soknacki being, er, "shunned", what's the big deal about the outcome? It may not have been as cerebral a choice as Soknacki, but one can't exactly read *against* Hart here. Kinda like, it was fine either way--different kinds of fine; but, still.

I think right now, anyone who wants even a glimmer of progressive policies from City Hall is grasping at whatever scant potential hints of that they can find.

The only other names I consistently hear bandied about in a similar regard are Peter Sloly and Richard Peddie. From what I gather, there's a broader pool of progressives waiting until the next mayoral, when they assume folks will have grown extremely weary of two terms of Tory austerity.

If he wins next year, Tory has already said he'll bow out after 8 years in 2022.

He's already positioned himself as a lame-duck Mayor.

Lots of jostling will take place long before he's gone, he should've kept his mouth shut almost until the very end.

There's no party successor (though, here's hoping Josh Colle steps up to take his place ... largely the same agenda), so I don't get it.

Stupid, stupid move, Mr. Tory.

I am guessing that Council will vote to appoint a new councillor for Ward 28 instead of a by-election. It really is sad that they have to do it though.

I am guessing that Council will vote to appoint a new councillor for Ward 28 instead of a by-election. It really is sad that they have to do it though.
Almost certainly; they normally appoint when only about a year to go before the regular election and did so when Ron Moeser died a couple of months ago, (At that time the City Clerk said they were really not able to run a by-election as they are fully occupied in planning for 2018 with, they expect, the new Ward boundaries.)

Smithers has gotta be lickin' his chops right now ...

I hope Tory & Co. block his appointment if he decides to throw his hat in the ring (which he will).

Almost certainly; they normally appoint when only about a year to go before the regular election and did so when Ron Moeser died a couple of months ago, (At that time the City Clerk said they were really not able to run a by-election as they are fully occupied in planning for 2018 with, they expect, the new Ward boundaries.)
What's to plan. Ward boundaries match federal (and provincial) ridings to eliminate duplication of work.
Unless they are going ahead with that ridiculous idea of adding 3 wards.

Back