Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

9975129236_8b267eaf64_b.jpg

9975062195_510a8f20ca_b.jpg

The tower looks too busy, unsure of what it is trying to accomplish. The orange stripe almost comes off as an after thought. Really disappointing.

We need more photos of the zany entrance in all its ridiculous glory. To hell with what the art establishment thinks. The entrance provides some comic relief from a tower that looks so generic and devoid of inspiration that it makes me want to hit it with the wrecking ball before it's even used for any purpose more dignified than storing air.

How is the multi-purpose space on the ground level working out? The addition of a theatre of that size is needed in this area and it seems that TIFF has already gotten a lot from it being next door. I am also waiting to see how the lane ways are going to be utilized; so much potential for setting strong precedents in urban space use.

Pics taken Oct 19, 2013

Every entrance seems to be an architectural afterthought. The front and back entrance doesn't blend with or compliment the building. I guess they take some of the sting away from the Flintstone entrance.

The chain link fence is outta the way.

f7WaRFn.jpg

iWIy0vz.jpg

ZSCMQYp.jpg

Sure I agree but can we give the tower some credit ?? I like it, not a simple square, the orange accent strip all the way is great / balconies painted - I don't find the spandral horrendous as its not the typical grey, rather blue and white ...

There's a lot worse in this city. I'm liking the orange of the podium. A splash of colour in between the darker styles of Pinnacle and the Lightbox. The entrances are not great, or even good, but the tower itself, with the curves and the orange balconies does enough that I find my eye drawn to it much more so than the Lightbox.

I hate the tower, it is the perfect example of the plain jane glass box that has no serious thought put behind it's design, but the splash of colour on the parking garage in the base adds a whole lot to the streetscape. If only they could have gotten the first floor right.

Back