Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

Has anybody noticed the light show that goes on the roof of the podium and the tower roof? It's almost as colourful as the CN Tower. Toronto's starting to get a number of skyscrapers with colourful, rooftop lighting. I guess it's a cheap and easy way to add visual interest to bland condos, like in CityPlace.

Has anybody noticed the light show that goes on the roof of the podium and the tower roof? It's almost as colourful as the CN Tower. Toronto's starting to get a number of skyscrapers with colourful, rooftop lighting. I guess it's a cheap and easy way to add visual interest to bland condos, like in CityPlace.

Too bad all the lighting is going on some of the worst looking buildings in the city.

Every time I see the entrance I want to go to Harveys and get a burger. Its like free unintentional advertising for the burger joints on queen.

My friend thought the roof lighting on this was for Nuit Blanch. He would not believe that it was a permanent part of the building's design. (even though he liked it) I guess he just thinks Toronto is too conservative to do colourful lighting, although when you look at the CN Tower, it's obvious, that things are changing, so it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Last edited:
I too saw the lighting during nuit blanche. I really liked the lighting and also was aware of the 'colourization' of Toronto...I was very happy to see more places and buildings ablaze with colour. I don't think that Cinema Tower is as bad as many make it out to be. The exception being the odd entrance...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like it. It's a hokey, out-of-place little thing but its shabbiness adds something that an expansion of the out-of-scale parking pile adjacent never could. The real bonus is that the site remains available for something separate from / other than from the aforementioned out-of-scale parking pile in the future.

It's pretty ugly but does at least offer something to what is just about one of Toronto's most dismal and shabby streetscapes.

Yeah, I guess. I appreciate your guys' willingness to indulge it, I do. But that second last shot--my god. I have no design experience, but even I sense that something there has gone very wrong. For a trained, reasonably well-paid individual be responsible for that? I just don't get it.

And the streetscaping. It's awful.

I honestly like it from the 2nd floor up, I just think they could have done a much better job with 1) the streetscaping ... likely honestly no attempt to make the sidewalk nicer / plant trees (maybe there's a reason) / and the horrendous entrance ... but I love the orange podium and I think the tower it self is fairly decent ..

Back