Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

Can someone please bring me up to speed as to why the parking isn't below ground? This thing is an affront to even the most basic aesthetic sensibility. That precast, while motivated by an interesting artistic idea, already looks dated, dirty, and downright cheap.

I hate to be negative but we should be using this forum to critique the City's lack of leadership on mandating higher standards of design than ogling the rush to height. Cool today, a financial and visual burden tomorrow.
Parking is both above and below grade. There are actually four levels of underground parking. The extra parking levels were required by the City to accommodate the City-owned ArtScape cultural facility.

That doesn't exactly answer why some levels are above grade, but my guess is that neither the developer nor the City was willing pay for additional costly excavation for the cultural component. They were probably limited by the amount of funding they were able to get from Daniels (I'm assuming the City managed to get this through Section 37 of the Planning Act).

Not a perfect compromise, but at least we're getting a new performance/programming space at ground level to distract from all the dreary spandrelriffic condos!

Last edited:
13 June 2012

20120613131000.jpg

20120613130950.jpg

The blue glazing would not have been my choice, that's for sure, but I like the podium cladding and the overall shape a fair bit.

Pleasant surprise: the white cladding going up on the vertical feature on the north and west facades of this tower looks awesome! Very sharp and provides a beautiful contrast with the rest of the building.

More new pics up on the front page here, now featuring an orange stripe.

June 16
Based on what I am seeing so far, this is one of the best building so far. Nice use of colours.

Look forward to seeing this one in Sept, after I get back. More up on site.
7401789458_421d972c29_b.jpg

7401806950_a2beb06b72_b.jpg

7401804014_e91f691613_b.jpg

7401809020_8b196e95e2_b.jpg

My thoughts regarding the cranes - the one which is seen over the District Lofts building is actually from the Pinnacle on Adelaide, while the Allied Reit's QRC crane can actually be seen to the left of the District Lofts building, right at the edge of the picture. The QRC crane has a horizontal boom, while the one over the District Lofts building has a luffing boom, which is consistent with crane in the north-east corner of the Pinnacle on Adelaide site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back