Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
well, all I can say is that they are doing a great job of teasing us with this one. I like the tapered effect on the north-south axis and the offset action on the east and west faces. The massing is indeed very attractive and I like the bold fins shown in the 1st image posted by Urbandreamer. Its different enough to win me over. I also like what this building would do to make this section of Bay St feel more connected to the city. I dont really care what the absolute numbers are for the height but lets just say with the apparent significant height and this shape it would surely be one of the more iconic buildings in Toronto's skyline...

if this building gets built it would be the nicest building in toronto if it looked like its render.:cool:

Im not really sure what to make of it; a giant slab of glass doesn't really appeal to me...
We'll see how this turns out.

I also prefer less glass. But if the building has the shape that render has, I think it's really promising. Toronto doesn't have enough buildings whose shapes make a statement like that. There's a lot of tall rectangular boxes around.

looks like the rumours about the Bus Depot being a part of this may have some truth to them, although nothing is definite yet....

Yeah, makes me think we are closer to hearing of an announcement...i just cant see them staying in this dump:eek:
From NP, a couple days ago.......Planners struggle to fix Toronto’s ‘third-world’ bus station

Metrolinx would only say that they were indeed considering a “new bus terminal near Union Station.†“This process involves confidential discussions, so we’re not able to comment further,†said Metrolinx spokesman Malon Edwards.

At this point, the most likely candidate for the terminal appears to be a half-hectare parking lot adjacent to the Air Canada Centre, and only steps away from Union Station’s main concourse. It would not only be plugged in to the services of Union Station, but bus drivers could simply back onto Lakeshore Boulevard rather than fight their way through downtown Toronto
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/19/planners-struggle-to-fix-torontos-third-world-bus-station/

When urban planners get together to talk about what not to do when building a bus station, someone usually mentions Toronto. “‘Scary’ might be an understatement,†Don Verbanac, an instructor at Ryerson University’s School of Urban and Regional Planning, wrote in an email to the Post. “The current facility would not even pass in a third world country.â€

But ever since 1931, Toronto’s bus passengers have disembarked into the Toronto Coach Terminal, a dank, poorly ventilated covered garage in a forgotten corner of downtown. A “Soviet-inspired, roofed-in parking lot in which … you are gassed with diesel fumes by an armada of endlessly revving buses,â€

Departing passengers need to be marshalled into a dirty, enclosed parking lot to board. Lined up for as long as 30 minutes between idling buses, passengers often complain of nausea by the time they board

It is cut off from the city’s other transit networks. Dundas subway station is five minutes away by tunnel and if bus passengers need to catch a VIA Rail connection or a GO Train to the suburbs, they need to haul their luggage along some of Canada’s most crowded sidewalks — or try their luck in a sweaty eight-block trek through the PATH.

OK...Imagine... on this site...

You want a cool fantasy tower???
2 or 3 story podium!!! 850 to 999.9 feet... (Gretzky)

A real Canada Tower.... Retail in base... 5 floor hotel 10 floors of Canada offices, and then 63 floors of condos and penthouses!!!!

the Messier suites.... Lemieux Layout.... Hawerchuck hideout, and of course The Great One Penthouse!!!

Silvery Black cladding, views of lake and CBD>>>> a national symbol!!!

Whenever talk comes up of Fantasy drawings and renders, this is always the first thing that pops in my mind...

Attachments

• Cup towerT.jpg
    Cup towerT.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
The tower should be shaped like the Stanley Cup, with a restaurant in the base operated by Wolfgang Puck.

I dont know, Cadillac Fairview would have to buy this from SITQ to have this future development across the street from the Air Canada Ctr. hockey orientated

When said and done, SITQ might not want to build anything except a glass box

i wanna see a much stronger design here... something like the Hudson Yards development would be cool... and a site this big could accommodate something similar in scale (relative to toronto).

i hate this hancock rip offs/shape of tower... it's a very old design.

Toronto could have something close in scale to Hudson Yards, provided that a unified plan is put into place to deck all of the rail line between Yonge and the Convention Centre:

ScreenShot164.jpg

The Union Station renovation, plus the rumoured World Trade Centre redo, plus the other two potential rail decking projects I have outlined in green (with 45 Bay being added to the Yonge-to-Union project), add up to something not quite as massive as Hudson Yards, but still very large, on the scale of the current Southcore district itself. Plus this would presumably be one of the few unlimited-height areas in Toronto (and it would almost need to be, to justify the expense of decking over the rail line).

By doing the Hudson Yard thing, GO Transit would love that. By doing so, GO would not have to deal with the switches issues during the winter month anymore.

The only problem doing this is Deck A, as work is already underway for the new GO West Concourses here now.

Deck B can be done when doing 45 Bay and hope some planners are thinking along this line.

Decking the rest of the corridor west of the Convention Centre to Bathurst St would help GO more. City Place folks would loose their north view by doing this.

^ True - if half of this building is office - and it's 75 stories, it would be significantly taller than Aura!

if thirty of those floors are office and the office floors are half a metre taller than a residential floor (maybe more) then this could be 15m taller than Aura.

I think Aura would still appear slightly taller on the skyline (if looked at from the East or West), because of the grade difference between the two sites. It would be close though, and nearly indistinguishable from a distance, unless you really looked at it.

And I love the decked over idea. Hopefully some enhanced pedestrian connectivity over the tracks would also come with it.

Back