Photos from March 21st, 2021:

First, from Yonge + Wellington:

1616371994479.png

1616372016321.png

Now down by the tracks:

1616372046252.png

1616372064177.png

1616372078167.png

Provided through the CIBC Square Community mailing list, can subscribe here: http://www.cibcsquare.com/community/

Construction Update

Dear neighbours,

Below is a brief update on the CIBC SQUARE project:

Construction at 81 Bay Street
As we near completion of Phase I of CIBC SQUARE at 81 Bay Street, please note that there will be periodic testing of building fire alarms by City inspectors, which is mandatory for occupancy. This testing will be completed during daytime working hours.

Overbuild Park
We have reached several construction milestones for the overbuild park, with Phase 1 of the overbuild park expected to be complete in late summer 2021. Steel installation and concrete pouring also continues as the park extends from 81 Bay Street towards the future 141 Bay Street building. This work continues to take place overnight as it requires access to the active rail corridor. For safety, construction personnel and equipment are not permitted while trains are running on the tracks, requiring work to proceed overnight when trains are not in operation.

Construction at 141 Bay Street
Demolition of the old Metrolinx bus terminal is ongoing, as it sits on the site of the future 141 Bay Street building. This work is anticipated to continue through the week of March 22, 2021. Crews will also start drilling and caisson work at 141 Bay this week, which is expected to take place during the daytime working hours over the next three months.

When are we working?
The following regular working hours are expected at CIBC SQUARE:

7AM - 7PM Monday to Friday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street and 141 Bay Street.
11PM - 5AM Monday to Saturday: Overnight work in the rail corridor for the park overbuild.
9AM - 7PM Saturday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street and 141 Bay Street.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this phase of construction. For any questions or comments, please email us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

I really appreciate the transparency from CIBC on this one. Very clear on what theyre doing and when they're doing it. Very nice to see and I'm sure those nearby must appreciate it.

Credit where credit is due - and credit should probably go to the development team responsible for the CIBC Square project - Hines and Ivanhoe Cambridge. CIBC is 'simply' the very large tenant who, by virtue of the size and conditions in their lease, obtained naming rights for the project.

Credit where credit is due - and credit should probably go to the development team responsible for the CIBC Square project - Hines and Ivanhoe Cambridge. CIBC is 'simply' the very large tenant who, by virtue of the size and conditions in their lease, obtained naming rights for the project.
This is fair. I figured it was Hines and Ivanhoe who would've been responsible for this but I was sure so I just said CIBC cuz it's their building :)

Is there a reason besides cost why the rail decking between the north and south towers was made so narrow. The east side shows that this park could easily have been double the size. Or will that be done once the north tower rises?

Is there a reason besides cost why the rail decking between the north and south towers was made so narrow. The east side shows that this park could easily have been double the size. Or will that be done once the north tower rises?
I think that what we see is what we get. Apart from cost, there may be reasons of ventilation why the centre part is not wider.

Back