Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
People keep asking this and others keep saying "It's full steam ahead". I think that until a change is announced we all need to assume it's going ahead as planned. If things change I think you can assume someone here will post the news.

The demolition permit was reviewed as recently as Jun 25, 2020 and the shoring permit on April 28, 2020.

Today, rain and shine
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 12.41.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 12.41.14 PM.png

Rail Deck Park needs to extend west and east: from Union Station to Bathust and from Union Station to the Distillery. We need BOTH.

Doesn't really make sense to extend it eastward - it's adding on top of the rail berm. We need better/more connections under. It only made sense for the developer as a way for them to unify both office towers and provide an amenity - it's not convenient as a space for the public.

AoD

I think the best scenario would be to put the entire thing underground in a tunnel with a park on top. However, that is cost prohibitive by a long shot, especially considering the new Union Station renovations.

Railways are eyesores? Well, agreed that they are not obviously or classically pretty but given their importance in the development of Canada and of Toronto in particular, I don’t think I would call them an eyesore. Without the combination of harbour and railway what would Toronto be? Port Credit perhaps? I actually like to see the visual evidence of a working city.

But yes, more decks would probably be a good development.

Railways are eyesores? Well, agreed that they are not obviously or classically pretty but given their importance in the development of Canada and of Toronto in particular, I don’t think I would call them an eyesore. Without the combination of harbour and railway what would Toronto be? Port Credit perhaps? I actually like to see the visual evidence of a working city.

But yes, more decks would probably be a good development.
I think it really depends on the situation. A well-located viaduct can add a considerable amount of dynamism and urbanity to any street setting, but something too vast like our rail corridor can end up creating physical and psychological separation between parts of the city, while requiring large, unsightly, and uncomfortable underpasses to cross them.

That being said, the current corridor is going nowhere, and the better bet would be to improve the underpass environments, and to create more of them (i.e. the one proposed at the Distillery District), while creating secondary connections via the rail decks.

That being said, the current [RAIL] corridor is going nowhere, and the better bet would be to improve the underpass environments, and to create more of them (i.e. the one proposed at the Distillery District), while creating secondary connections via the rail decks.
Yes, it is connections that are missing because of the rail berm -that makes a poor situation worse. There are also 'plans' for one going through at Church Street which would be a great improvement for traffic and connectivity. (The proposed link @ the Distillery is for pedestrians (and bikes?) only but still a good idea.)

The demolition permit was reviewed as recently as Jun 25, 2020 and the shoring permit on April 28, 2020.
Yes, but NOT approved.

Application Detail
Application:

Demolition Folder (DM)
Examiner's Notice Sent
TORONTO ON M5J 1J5
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York
Application#:
20 155649 DEM 00 DM
Accepted Date:
Jun 25, 2020
Project:
Transit Station,Subway, Bus Terminal
Work:
Demolition
Description:
Demolition of the existing Metrolinx GO Bus Terminal and Partial Removal and Modificaitons to the east end of Union Station, Platform 3 (Northeast corner of the Train Shed).
Examination Processes
DM Zoning Review

Jun 26, 2020
Closed
DM Code Review Pt3
Jun 25, 2020
Closed
DM Code Review Pt3
Jun 25, 2020
Closed
DM Structural Review Pt3
Jun 25, 2020