Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
CIBC Square will be a showstopper. Regarding the rest: I prefer to view it as we only have to wait 30-40 years for a re-clad of the area. With any luck, these facades will start failing long before that. Then again, they might replace it with something equally insipid.

In my opinion, the real problem is the Infinity Condos, which not only are the blandest instance of early-00s condotecture, but they also sit right in front of Roundhouse Park and the CN Tower Plaza.

If anything, I think a first-floor reclad/reaping with a warmer material/colour, and the addition of a colourful artwork on the penthouse levels would help tremendously.

In my opinion, the real problem is the Infinity Condos, which not only are the blandest instance of early-00s condotecture, but they also sit right in front of Roundhouse Park and the CN Tower Plaza.

If anything, I think a first-floor reclad/reaping with a warmer material/colour, and the addition of a colourful artwork on the penthouse levels would help tremendously.
The Infinity towers may not have the most interesting architecture, but its strength is at street level. It has narrow storefronts, frequent entrances, a constantly changing streetscape, prominent signbands, and plenty of patios, all things that make it an interesting place to walk past and interact with as a pedestrian. Compare that to the offices and hotels across the street, which are much more monolithic at street level, with only one retail tenant per building, hidden entrances, and signage that blends in with the building. Not to mention that much of the frontage of those buildings is taken up by lobbies and garage doors. Infinity, for all its blandness in the skyline, gets a lot right at street level and makes a streetscape that's closer to a traditional main street than anything else on Bremner.

I do agree with kweku though. The amount of blue/green glass in the area is overpowering.

And Toronto is definitely growing in a very intense and different manner (most Canadian cities for that matter) from most American cities, many of which are still extremely suburbanized. A lot of them would be blessed to even have one or two of our mid-tier developments in their downtown areas. That being said, the high-end tower developments in the US are usually better finished than Toronto's. Spandrel + window wall is far less common down there.
That could be because the vast majority of Toronto's residential highrise construction isn't high end at all. It's intended for the masses.

Last edited:
As a very proud Canadian on July 1, I send this question out to all members of this Forum - why doesn't any notable tall building in Toronto have a big-ass Canadian Flag flying atop it??? Happy Canada Day to one and all.

bada bing! But seriously, FCP is a prime example. They have tall and grounded antennae on top, and BMO calls itself "Canada's First Bank". Stick a flag up there!!! There must be some technical/safety reason, or some obscure city law, why they cannot. If there isn't - then let's start a movement!

When was the last time BMO used the tagline, Canada's First Bank? The financial groups headquartered on Bay are international corporation with names that have mostly shed themselves of any nationality. The Canadian bank subsidiary, Bank of Montreal, is headquartered at 55 Bloor West.

FCP is owned by Brookfield which leases the roof space to telecommunication companies that put up their own antennas. You want to contact Rogers or Telus first and forget BMO.

The Infinity towers may not have the most interesting architecture, but its strength is at street level. It has narrow storefronts, frequent entrances, a constantly changing streetscape, prominent signbands, and plenty of patios, all things that make it an interesting place to walk past and interact with as a pedestrian. Compare that to the offices and hotels across the street, which are much more monolithic at street level, with only one retail tenant per building, hidden entrances, and signage that blends in with the building. Not to mention that much of the frontage of those buildings is taken up by lobbies and garage doors. Infinity, for all its blandness in the skyline, gets a lot right at street level and makes a streetscape that's closer to a traditional main street than anything else on Bremner.

I do agree with kweku though. The amount of blue/green glass in the area is overpowering.

Well, I was making an aesthetic point rather than a programmatic one- there's no reason why you can't have a good street presence and also have an attractive (or at least a not predominantly grey) building as well.

That could be because the vast majority of Toronto's residential highrise construction isn't high end at all. It's intended for the masses.

Mmm, I still feel that some of our high-end projects end up less glamorous than other comparative projects in the US. Some of the projects going up in choice locations, like Yorkville, don't feel high-end at all, despite their location and pricing.

I think it's officially joined the skyline, now that it's visible from the islands

DSC_8765-HDR.jpg

FCP is owned by Brookfield which leases the roof space to telecommunication companies that put up their own antennas. You want to contact Rogers or Telus first and forget BMO.

putting up flags at telecommunication masts or antennas can disrupt the transmition.

For those who like to see progress. This one is flying:
View attachment 192328
Actually, I don't consider this to be flying. For steel construction, you'd think it'd be gong up more quickly, about two floors every week, and it has not even added a floor a week over the course of your (fantastic!!!) images.

Pretty sure they've been slowed down by the clean-up from the big concrete spill they had a little while back. Should pick up again soon

Back