Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
An amazing part of this photo is how Eau du Soliel creates the appearance of another major city skyline in the distance to the far right!

The Humber Bay Shores skyline really is striking in silhouette. This is completely off topic, but, over a long enough timeframe I could see south and central Etobicoke turning into quite a big, dense urban space. I think it has the bones to accommodate that type of transformation — large swaths of underdeveloped land relatively far from current residential neighbourhoods that might oppose development and relatively close to possible transit routes and the lake, long commercial streets like Queensway and Lake Shore and Dundas, a nice waterfront, incredible views of downtown Toronto, and now a precedent for tall buildings. The railway tracks and all the highways are a big obstacle to pedestrians, although people do overcome that in downtown Toronto even if it isn't ideal.

I would be worried about losing too much employment space though as many of these light industrial districts offer accessible rents to small businesses and other ventures that we don't want to lose. But I think there's a really nice balanced city that could emerge in Etobicoke with the right approach taken.

Where would be the right place for threads on this type of speculative discussion about Toronto's urban future be? I find it super fun and interesting to think about but I'm wary of being annoyingly off topic or rambly to those who don't care. There doesn't seem to be a natural home for it. 'Buildings, Architecture & Infrastructure' seems like the closest fit but still not quite right.

Last edited:
I wonder if the ACC office will ever be developed into a taller tower, or if a tower could be built over more of the arena without them having to close it down during construction (which I presume would be untenable).

They managed 488 University. It'd love to see ACC's roof turned into a public space or park. Maybe Scotia will feel like one-upping CIBC.

Brackets for the sky bridge inside the ACC
A0268B00-EB08-44CB-A8D5-BEEF337F2CF1.jpeg
7BD33AE4-9806-4DB7-9FD3-6F7E746ABB2A.jpeg

This thing is huge!

70C4B732-45C4-46CF-82E0-A51042D5B212.jpeg
95C0B9DD-CCC7-46F7-A924-6B5A42DB69E0.jpeg

Wednesday Morning

A construction elevator is being installed at the southwest corner of the main CIBC building. It's difficult to see, there are aluminum rectangular boxes (I believe there are two boxes side by side), nestled in between the steel pillars. The rectangular boxes have the words 'OXFORD' printed in bold letters facing towards the south. You may also notice they have constructed two platforms one above the other facing west and in line with the access doors to the construction elevators

Longshot to show location

IMG_1352.jpeg

A closer look

IMG_1351.jpeg

Full zoom (a little blurry)

IMG_1350.jpeg

SoCo spotlight...

Wow, this is sure flying skyward. A week ago the top of the crane was a hair or two above the 'Life Financial' signage. Now it's well above the Sun Life building itself. (Photo taken last evening with interesting backlighting onto 10 York).

CIBC_1.jpg

Looks like a worker (silhouetted) on the crane body (bottom centre).

CIBC_2.jpg

Back