Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
They put their logo on one of the shorter, newer buildings recently.

The only reason they haven't stuck it up there yet is because heritage services won't let them. It violates the strict minimalist design of the original complex.

If heritage services were all that devoted to design, and had the power to enforce, surely the other buildings in the complex would adhere to "the strict minimalist design of the original complex," and would similarly be wart-free. For now I'm sticking to the proposition that Mies, the mid-century messiah of minimalism, extracted a long-term commitment that applied to the main tower. He had much less to say about the later, lesser buildings. Will research this further.

So is there any way we will know if the 2nd tower will actually be taller? The press releases seem to indicate both towers will be an equal 49 stories each. Will the bus terminal underneath allow the height to be higher? Just curious if the documents filed with the city are the numbers to be believed.

Are you suggesting that there is something unique caused by the building being in Toronto and the tenant being a bank? Are there many examples (perhaps in other cities with banks or in Toronto with tenants that aren't banks or in other cities where the tenant is not a bank) where a tenant pre-committed to taking 1.75MM s.f. of a planned 2.9MM s.f. project and didn't expect and get branding on the building? There may be....but that would be a surprising thing to me.

I would say that it's very rare for a bank tower in Toronto to not have a huge logo at the top of it, and just a quick glance at many other city skylines will show that Toronto has a lot more logos on top of its towers than most.

This is Toronto, and TD is a bank, and there was no logo on their head office tower last time I checked. The original idea in the 1960s, when TD started the banks' frenzy to fill the skyline with conspicuous International Style head offices, was that the buildings themselves would be the logos. I think TD is the only one of the Big Five to stick with that notion, probably because the purist architect, Mies van der Rohe, had it written into his contract.

As someone else mentioned, TD's logo is on the 2 buildings that they're allowed to have it on. They would absolutely have it on the 2 taller ones as well if they were allowed.

This project is in clear violation of the shadow laws and block out nesesarry sunlight on residents of 18 Yonge Street Toronto a residential neighbour . 49 stories and the close proximity plus space allowed for construction would have an unfair impact and access to sunlight to a residential residence.

The Site Plan Approval application for the development of this 48 storey office tower on 45 Bay Street needs a new more detaled shadow impact to reflect the rights of the tennant of 18 Yonge Street and their right to sunlight and quality of life.

I would say that it's very rare for a bank tower in Toronto to not have a huge logo at the top of it, and just a quick glance at many other city skylines will show that Toronto has a lot more logos on top of its towers than most.

As someone else mentioned, TD's logo is on the 2 buildings that they're allowed to have it on. They would absolutely have it on the 2 taller ones as well if they were allowed.
It's corporate Pe@#s envy to have the tallest building at the expense of the residence of TO.

The first tower of this project, 81 Bay, will become the 5th tallest office tower in Toronto at 237.8m , and the tallest office tower to be built in the city since TD Canada Trust Tower which completed in 1990.

We are still unsure if the 2nd tower will be the same height as the first, or taller.

This project is in clear violation of the shadow laws and block out nesesarry sunlight on residents of 18 Yonge Street Toronto a residential neighbour . 49 stories and the close proximity plus space allowed for construction would have an unfair impact and access to sunlight to a residential residence.

The Site Plan Approval application for the development of this 48 storey office tower on 45 Bay Street needs a new more detaled shadow impact to reflect the rights of the tennant of 18 Yonge Street and their right to sunlight and quality of life.
When one lives downtown - he in a way forfeits the right to perpetual sunlight. After all, those are the most valuable plots of land in the country.

There is no such thing as a right to sun light. That argument doesn't work when the right doesn't exist.

The first tower of this project, 81 Bay, will become the 5th tallest office tower in Toronto at 237.8m , and the tallest office tower to be built in the city since TD Canada Trust Tower which completed in 1990.

We are still unsure if the 2nd tower will be the same height as the first, or taller.

No we are sure @ 54s/265 meters

I will echo @AG, and elaborate. As I recently said in this thread, we believe the documents filed with the City, by which the developers will gain approval to build through Zoning Bylaw Amendments and Site Plan Approval. The documents are drawn up with exactitude (and while they can be amended through a regulated process), they become part of the official documentation of the building. On the other hand, press releases are typically drawn up quickly by ad people who typically are more interested in the way things sound than the quality of the information they convey.

Back