Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Still don't understand how a city that has completed more high rises in the past 10 years than Ohio has built ever is preceived as anti development and the OMB as its saving grace. How many decisions have been overturned by the OMB concerning high rise applications? Maybe 2 to 3 percent.

It will probably be sold to a developer, who will probably develop it and call it "Coach Terminal Condos" or "Coach Condos", and incorporate the facade of the current terminal into the podium...again. (the current terminal is already a product of facadism)

And each new owner would get a Coach handbag with their purchase. ;)

You kidding? This is Toronto we are talking about. That Bus Terminal will be given heritage status by years end!

When the OMB finally gets around to approving a condo for that spot, we will pass a bill to hang the iconic "Toronto Coach Terminal" sign at Yonge-Dundas Square. :D

It's already listed as of 1987.

I don't know why the city council and OMB are so scared of just one or two Supertalls.

As of January 2015, the designation "Supertall" will be changed by the AABC to include all buildings that are 290 m and taller, including those structures that are considered "close enough" to said "Supertall" status, and which are deemed to have caused confusion and consternation when not so labelled as "Supertall" in the past.

As of January 2015, the designation "Supertall" will be changed by the AABC to include all buildings that are 290 m and taller, including those structures that are considered "close enough" to said "Supertall" status, and which are deemed to have caused confusion and consternation when not so labelled as "Supertall" in the past.

What's the AABC? Can you post any source? Thanks.

Last edited:
What's the AABC? Can you post any source? Thanks.

I've actually heard that due to complaints from people in cities with buildings that are close to but under 290 metres, the AABC will go a step further and lower the "supertall" limit to 270 metres. That means that we already have 3 supertalls!

I've actually heard that due to complaints from people in cities with buildings that are close to but under 290 metres, the AABC will go a step further and lower the "supertall" limit to 270 metres. That means that we already have 3 supertalls!

Yes! Everything with the AABC is happening very quickly now, in part due to the recent influx of new project announcements, particularly in Toronto. I just hope they can get it straightened out before the city makes another bid for the Olympics.

They surely read this forum then! God may bless the AABC, we're getting our supertalls finally.

:cool:

Building over the rail corridor like that is an impressive idea.

Very impressive -- as would be building under the rail corridor as well.

Well lets see.....45 Bay Street, (3-4blgs, approx. 2.8-3.5 million sq. ft.),
Oxford Place (2-3bldgs 2x70s office/residential aprox 2.5-3 million sq. ft.),
156 Front (1bldg. 1.3 million sq. ft.),
Union Centre (1bldg. 1.1 million sq. ft.),
1 Yonge (2bldgs. 1.5 million sq. ft.)
16 York (1bldg. 800.000 sq. ft.)

approx 11.5 million square ft. of office space planned
.....5 million sq. ft (under construction)
Total 16.5 million

I actually think the market can bear it, but certainly not all at once. Contrast this figure to the amount of square feet of residential space planned, recently built, or under construction in the core, and bear in mind that one recent count had something like 55% of all current office space has been built away from rapid transit access.

Residential intensification necessarily creates the impetus for commercial intensification, which in turn creates its own self-sustaining cycle.

It's pretty much what happened in the 905 in the 80s and 90s.

Union Centre, 156 Front, and 16 York will probably start within the next 12-18 months. It'll be interesting to see if Hines will charge ahead simultaneously -- and if so, I'd expect all the others to wait another 2-3 years to assess the market.

Back