Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Can't wait for the second tower to be added to this shot.
Centre Island from Monday.
1655304384582.png

1655304421654.png

Attachments

• 1655304299262.png
    1655304299262.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
I'm surprised the park doesn't have more visitors. I guess like a lot of financial district plazas (TD Centre plaza, the square behind Commerce Court with the elephant sculpture), it's hidden and not well-signposted. Plus, we're not back to pre-pandemic occupancy yet. For those who want to check it out, you can take the external staircase (burn off those calories) or step into the lobby and ride an elevator on the north side of the building (not the ones behind the barriers) to the 4th floor. There's also an escalator in the lobby, which I believe will take you to the PATH bridge connecting Scotiabank Centre to Union Bus Terminal (level 2) and more escalators eventually taking you to the 4th floor, although the escalator connecting the 3rd to 4th floor was still blocked off as of yesterday.
I think there’s not a lot of visitors because it doesn’t connect to anything, you’d basically need to retrace your steps. There’s also no sign that it is open, all the street level signage is the same pre-opening. Once the food hall and the connection to the North tower opens, there’d be more visitors. The only reason I see to go there now is if you wanted some fresh air while waiting for the GO Bus

Those concrete barriers should go and they should install nice black metal bollards% this is ridiculous.
You’ll have to wait to (let’s cross our fingers) 2023-2024 for that to happen.

It would be funny if it didn’t point to systemic issues around infrastructure will, planning and funding in Toronto. And now, with interest rates going up and housing sales cratering, I would be unsurprised to find this behavior getting worse.

with so much construction money pouring in couldn’t they plan better infrastructure? I mean other cities are doing it why can’t Toronto? Washington DC Boston NYC. It’s their duty to offer esthetically pleasing city. They focus on functionality . I’m very disappointed with the leadership I’m sorry to say.

with so much construction money pouring in couldn’t they plan better infrastructure? I mean other cities are doing it why can’t Toronto? Washington DC Boston NYC. It’s their duty to offer esthetically pleasing city. They focus on functionality . I’m very disappointed with the leadership I’m sorry to say.
The leadership caters to the people (voters) who will keep them on the job. Sadly, the majority of Torontonians don't give a toss about esthetics - as long as it (barely) works and doesn't raise taxes, go for it!

I don’t think it’s not happening in other cities, it’s just we are not looking at it that closely. I’m sure their infrastructure enthusiasts have a long list of concerns with their own cities as well.

I’m in Montreal now. Bad roads but overall pleasant esthetics. Lots of parks, trees, flowers, benches. Well done. they’ve gotten rid of parking on st Catherine st. grey pavers everywhere, new trees, plants, benches everywhere and wide sidewalks. It will be beautiful in a few years. drivers acn use parking garages for their cars and problem solved. Yonge should do the exact same thing.
I was also in DC last week. Again very impressive roads, wide sidewalks , lots and lots of parks with ample trees. A very green lush city.
the same with Chicago. Do they have issues ? Of course… when they do something they do it right.

I’m in Montreal now. Bad roads but overall pleasant esthetics. Lots of parks, trees, flowers, benches. Well done. they’ve gotten rid of parking on st Catherine st. grey pavers everywhere, new trees, plants, benches everywhere and wide sidewalks. It will be beautiful in a few years. drivers acn use parking garages for their cars and problem solved. Yonge should do the exact same thing.
I was also in DC last week. Again very impressive roads, wide sidewalks , lots and lots of parks with ample trees. A very green lush city.
the same with Chicago. Do they have issues ? Of course… when they do something they do it right.

We're getting a little out of topic now with this. There are streetscape threads if you want to discuss this further. Let's keep this thread about the 2 beautiful buildings and the new park over the train tracks.

My dog would’t climb the open stairs but was okay going down.

She was wondering how this guy can handle the swaying bucket.
F0F50C89-29C4-4203-931C-097DF9A4CDC3.jpeg

I asked the security guard if dogs were allowed in the park. He didn’t know but didn’t think so. We left after a brief look (no washroom break) as we didn’t feel the love.

I didn’t ask if tents were allowed.

The excavation looks like it will be finished soon.
534B9D8D-3AC0-41F9-854C-D93ED7A9AFD3.jpeg

8A6B2E69-1FA4-4D7C-AF98-0186E14BF61B.jpeg

37A4C566-A8E8-4102-9027-A6F63DA8D4BA.jpeg

ABD751DD-FA3F-4252-9EF5-9B1928891C7F.jpeg

Back