Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
21eAQ.JPG

Great pics @skycandy

Earlier this morning (Sunday, January 19), around 8:45 AM the south crane lifted a beam up to a level just above the existing steel framework, on the south side of the building's concrete core. The beam hung suspended above the top floor for at least 15 - 20 minutes, and then was slowly lowered down to the ground (or perhaps podium rooftop?) level, after which the crane went back to its normal inactive position.
Anyone have any idea what was being done? It seems strange to hoist something up, and drop it back down as the only activity on a Sunday morning. Was it to check out operation of the crane after yesterday's storm?

They had their topping out ceremony with the "final" beam being signed and all that jazz so I would assume it was that.

Great pics @skycandy

They had their topping out ceremony with the "final" beam being signed and all that jazz so I would assume it was that.
That "final" beam was lifted on the 7th or 8th I think, so this was something different.

With the tower just about topped off, my attention is turning to street level. This building is going to have a tremendous positive urbanizing effect on Bay Street, specially on the east side of Union Station and the ACC. The number of people who will be working here will fill a previously dead pocket with street life.

It’s easy to forget that these areas will be completely transformed by the presence of people, whereas before they were dominated by cars driving to and from Lake Shore and the Gardiner.
8C50168C-BAEF-4183-A4DD-484C47EF0D2E.jpeg
304F612E-4804-4BA0-8731-5546942AF93E.jpeg
255A8710-43B9-4286-A142-66D31E8BA8EA.jpeg

Im curious how they plan to light these towers up. The first tower is pretty much topped out now with the exception of the mechanic box which will add another 50ft or so to the height. I have a feeling that when these triangles light up they are going to stop people on the street. Trust me, there will be many people taking pictures.

Nice looking cable wall there. First picture I’ve seen of it. Should look pretty sweet when not backed up by all that scaffolding.

Back