Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I suspect it's one of those concrete pours that has to be done all at once, in one go. When they started in the afternoon, they had no idea what was coming later that evening. When the storm arrived, they didn't have much choice but to continue.
i had no idea that is such a thing.. thank you for the info...

yes. all in all there are about 45 elevators in this building
Oh my goodness 45 elevators?! I had no idea that's incredible; if only certain condo developers could take note (ie: the ones who install ~5 elevators for a 200+ metre tall building)

Different code requirements for elevators in office buildings and office towers.

Different code requirements for elevators in office buildings and office towers.
I realize that, which is why I've been calling for a while for the province to look into introducing mandatory minimum elevator requirements for residential buildings. No reason for there to be such a stark difference between commercial/office developments and residential developments.

I realize that, which is why I've been calling for a while for the province to look into introducing mandatory minimum elevator requirements for residential buildings. No reason for there to be such a stark difference between commercial/office developments and residential developments.
Interesting! I completely agree the city should revisit minimum elevator requirements for residential. However, in my opinion I actually see a stark difference in usage between office and residential. For office buildings you have multiple businesses sharing multiple floors, employees using them constantly, outside of the standard usage for breaks (lunch, smoking, coffee, etc.) and ongoing visitors (partners, vendors, etc.). I can't count how many times I am in my office elevator daily (maybe 6?), but I sure can count how many times I use my condo elevator daily. I just don't see condo elevators heavily used beyond the standard rush hours.

Office buildings also have several times more people per square foot than residential, so yes, they have more elevators. Don't know the numbers they plan for there, but I am told that condo developers typically plan for one elevator per approx. one hundred units. Anyone that can tell us more about this?!

The general rule of thumb for residential is 1 per 100-150 units, yes. Generally a minimum of two elevators no matter what however, unless it is a really, really small building.

A 600 unit building would typically have maybe 5-6 elevators, depending on how cheap the developer is.

My building for example has about 350 units and has 4 elevators - though my understanding is that this is actually quite a high number for the unit count. My last building had around 300 units and had 3 elevators.

BOOM!

The first load of steel has arrived on a flatbed truck

IMG_0827.jpg

About half of the jump form-panels have been jacked up to the next level

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg