Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

FWIW - The Toronto Scientology Church has temporarily relocated to 77 Peter Street - two doors down from the under-construction marketing suite for Noir. Depending on one's perspective - being beside Noir may not be an entirely inappropriate location...

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 2A7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 132886 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 14, 2013

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal for interior and exterior alterations to existing 9 storey building - "Church of Scientology".

IMG_20130317_112046.jpg

zIMG_20130317_111914.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130317_112046.jpg
    IMG_20130317_112046.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,634
  • zIMG_20130317_111914.jpg
    zIMG_20130317_111914.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,659
Temp location on Peter St.

Pic taken July 11, 2013

G0011rd.jpg

Last edited:
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 2A7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 266853 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 22, 2014

Project: Office Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal to remove all interior walls on all floors, remove all exterior walls (note steel frame and flooring to remain), and construct new exterior walls and interior alterations to all floors at existing Church of Scientology.

I would love to see the Scientology building go...or at least have a new occupant in there. Such an eyesore to the developments in the adjacent area.

I would love to see the Scientology building go...or at least have a new occupant in there. Such an eyesore to the developments in the adjacent area.

It's a beautiful building - or at least, it could be again, with some care. By which I mean actual, sensitive restoration work, as opposed to a hack job inflicted on it by an organization whose aesthetic monstrousness is only trumped by its moral monstrousness.

I like the building too, as is, and oh how I miss Brothers - home to countless 4pm breakfasts for 20 some-odd years.
Interesting that the "Going Clear" HBO doc. (and book, and Bill Maher episode with the author) are all mysteriously missing in Canada. The Lightbox cinema has the cahunas to play it theatrically though.

Last edited:
I like the building too, as is, and oh how I miss Brothers - home to countless 4pm breakfasts for 20 some-odd years.
Interesting that the "Going Strong" HBO doc. (and book, and Bill Maher episode with the author) are all mysteriously missing in Canada. The Lightbox cinema has the cahunas to play it theatrically though.

It's actually "Going Clear" - maybe you're not finding it because you're searching for the wrong title? The book is available in Canada and you can rent the doc on the iTunes store.

It's actually "Going Clear" - maybe you're not finding it because you're searching for the wrong title? The book is available in Canada and you can rent the doc on the iTunes store.

Nope, I mistyped, I'll correct that.
Didn't know it was on iTunes, HBO Canada (Bell Media) ain't touching it apparently. Random House didn't publish the book here, but I see it's on Amazon through Vintage.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/why-canadians-cant-watch-hbos-scientology-doc

Actually, it (or at least the miraculously extant unretrofitted original sash) was probably an aesthetic inspiration on the developments in the adjacent area--esp. those of neo-modern persuasion.

Back