Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

It's a beautiful building - or at least, it could be again, with some care. By which I mean actual, sensitive restoration work, .

+1000! It's a handsome building, and it would be all the better if they can have a Brothers diner there :)
AoD

Haha, huh?? ...are we talking about the same bldg. here:confused:

scientology2.jpg

Liking this building is more of an acquired taste. I, for one, love it! It reminds me of Google's HQ in Toronto so I feel like they could definitely spruce up the existing building without ruining it, like Google did.

All it needs is a good cleaning, repair of the brickwork, sympathetic replacement of the glazing. Great clean (early 50s?) Modern - and they used quality materials as well (e.g. look at the stone at the ground level). Dare say you can almost see Peter Clewes in it.

AoD

Nope, I mistyped, I'll correct that.
Didn't know it was on iTunes, HBO Canada (Bell Media) ain't touching it apparently. Random House didn't publish the book here, but I see it's on Amazon through Vintage. http://canadalandshow.com/article/why-canadians-cant-watch-hbos-scientology-doc
Bell refuses to air it on HBO Canada and even pulled the episode of Real Time with Bill Maher that featured the director. They claim it is a copyright issue, but that's bull. They are scared of a lawsuit from the "Church." They've now put it on On-Demand for $7.99 though. It's excellent btw.

Here's hoping the ownership of the land is soon a matter for the courts to decide.

Yeah, I also don't mind this bldg. and think its OK, ...but to say its beautiful, or handsome,:eek:

I agree. It could looks slightly better with a new window system and after a good clean up... but that's it. Lipstick on a pig. Plus, never been a fan of that brick tone.

Fortunately the building is designated.

AoD

Yeah? I wonder, what's the story about this building?

Back