Mississauga Chicago Condos | ?m | 36s | Daniels | Kirkor

Every new building is a variation of a glass box, and no matter how many different panels of frosted glass they insert into the design, or how many straight edges architects can find in a rectangular podium box, brick and mortar will always have that classy, classic, and charismatic feel that most boxes lack (B/A Centre, RBC Centre, Ritz, Festival, CityPlace, MLS, Telus, Murano.....)

I don't have a hate-on for modern glass buildings, but enough is enough. This 'Chicago' building should have been built downtown.

Twenty years from now, we're going to look back and think, "Jesus, someone should have regulated how much green glass was built in the 2000's".

I much prefer if we regulated how much brick and precast neo-eclectic architecture went up in Mississauga. This building just links Mississauga with the "comfort food" architecture of the likes of Atlanta. Plus there are the cultural implications of building faux-Chicago towers downtown. Frankly, it would be kind of embarrassing.

khristopher said:
Mississauga City Centre is not suburban at all. You don't seem to realize that most of Toronto is suburban in nature, just like any other major city in the world. Mississauga is no different. MCC is also in transition. It is a very young city, and in a huge change right now. It's kind of like a kid who is now a teenager.

So if most of Toronto is suburban, then MCC is not suburban? It's dense and is becoming more urban, but it's geographically in the suburbs. Suburbs can be dense and function just like an old urban city.

^I'm not saying we should recreate cities around the world in cheap pre-cast slabs stacked on top of each other along Front St., but the overall idea and theory of "Chicago's" design I think is something Toronto lacks.

And again, I'm no glass box hater with pent up aggression, I just like moderation. Big slabs of brutalist concrete dominated architecture for a good decade. While I'm sure people back in the 60's/70's were loving the 'fresh and clean' feel of concrete, looking back it's an architectural decade I wish never happened.

If Uptown turns out alright, then at least we'll have one new building that isn't a giant sheet of glass.

Dec 09

IMG_dec-09-09-0011.jpg

IMG_dec-09-09-0012.jpg

IMG_dec-09-09-0013.jpg

If Uptown turns out alright, then at least we'll have one new building that isn't a giant sheet of glass.

Quite frankly downtown has seen its fair share of precast buildings and I'd rather it not be so. It's not that I'm not open to alternatives to the "sheets of glass" but that the alternatives are usually aestetically inferior in design. In this age, glass (incl. window-wall) is just easiest to get right and the idea of "at least it's different" is highly overated. Chicago is absolute garbage and , IMO, is already too close to downtown.

I actually don't find the townhome blocks completely inappropriate with so much density diverted into the tower. They provides another housing type as well as adds breathing room in comparison to the completely overbuilt Citygate block.

Minto Midtown is in my opinion the best large scale example in the GTA.
There are some smaller more intimate projects there are nice too.

I think we'll all require gag bags when walking by UpTown once it's completed by the looks of things so far.

December 27 2009 update

Chicago looks to have topped off~
Click to Enlarge

Was surprise to see today that the crane has no been removed by now considering its work has been finish since the first of the year.

That is about to change as of Wed when it get removed.

I saw the 500T crane in the distance before noon with the stick up, but as of 2:40 not much had taken place. The stick was down and could see the counterweight had been removed as well the cable.

Parts of the crane could have come down later today after I left Sq One.

Have to try a photo shoot next week since it been 2 weeks since by last shooting that not posted here.

they are finally taking down the crane today....

Not sure why it took them this long to take the crane down.

The mobile crane was setup on Tuesday March 2, yet they only started to take it down on Friday March 5.

Still don't like those townhouses there.

The EA just came out to build the Sq One Dr from Duke of York to Confederation on the north side of the building. Future plans call for Sq One Dr to continue west of Confederation Dr and connect to Rathburn Rd.
[video=youtube;TL-q57qMgEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-q57qMgEQ[/video]

Back