News   Jul 15, 2024
 199     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

...and yet Toronto does not have two NHL franchises within its municipal boundaries as of this post (despite the fact that Toronto can clearly hold three NHL franchises within municipal boundaries (plus one or two in the 905) with all of them being profitable).

MLB has revenue sharing, whereas NHL does not. MLB TV and advertising revenues are also substantially higher than those of the NHL. Also, the Cubs and White Sox have been in Chicago for over a century.

Putting another NHL team in Toronto would be a huge financial gamble. Chicago is a definitive sports town, with passionate, well-established fan bases whereas Toronto is a Leafs town with fair-weather fans for all other teams.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I raise you

I joined this forum because of the discussion on Rob Ford, but I'm also very much interested in issues of urban planning, and it seems apt that this thread is hosted on this website. As someone who has lived in Europe and New York City prior to moving to Toronto, I'm still often shocked by the lack of public spaces and the extreme over-reliance on cars that I find here, which in my view contribute to this current crisis of civil society. Much of Toronto is inhabited by people who are deeply annoyed by the fact that there are other people around them. They don't like to live in cities, because to them urbanity means being stuck in traffic and not being able to find parking.

I regularly take the 35 bus on Jane, or the 41 bus on Keele. Looking out the window, or getting off at various stops, I just get depressed by pretty much everything I see, and I feel sad for the people who keep squeezing onto the packed bus and who have to live in, what to me is a nightmarish environment. Once you get north of the Junction (or, let's say north of Eglinton, to be generous), all you see is drab strip malls and lonely people in their cars, decrepit apartment buildings or sidestreets of ugly little fenced-in bungalows with driveways, but no sidewalks. It's a hostile, mind-numbingly, soul-crushingly boring environment, where there are no real public spaces and healthy human relationships seem an impossibility. I've often thought, half-jokingly, that I would kill myself if I had to live there. So smoking crack seems like a good option, actually.

In short, I feel that this whole crisis, with Ford and his supporters being who they are, is ultimately the outcome of a colossal failure of urban planning that has shaped the inner suburbs over the last 50 years or so. People who stay south of Bloor (and I myself do that whenever I can) can pretend that this world doesn't exist, but this Halloween it has come back to haunt them.

Uh, yes it does. Toronto is the biggest contributor to that.

The NHL's revenue sharing is laughable comparable to MLB. If you truly believe the GTA can accommodate 2-3 more profitable NHL franchises, then just like the Canadian media, you're delusional.

...and yet Toronto does not have two NHL franchises within its municipal boundaries as of this post (despite the fact that Toronto can clearly hold three NHL franchises within municipal boundaries (plus one or two in the 905) with all of them being profitable).

Would love to hear where these 3 or 4 new teams would play.....who would build the arenas......who would own them....who would go to them....what the average ticket price would drop to with this level of competition and how in heck 4 or 5 teams in this (any) market could be profitable.....or were you just going for humour?

Would love to hear where these 3 or 4 new teams would play.....who would build the arenas......who would own them....who would go to them....what the average ticket price would drop to with this level of competition and how in heck 4 or 5 teams in this (any) market could be profitable.....or were you just going for humour?
It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

The Greater Toronto Area can only support two NHL teams at most (for now), if the Leafs are willing to have some competition.

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

The Greater Toronto Area can only support two NHL teams at most (for now), if the Leafs are willing to have some competition.

Ok...I thought you were going for humour! I would suggest that this area's ability to support more than the one team we already have has been a bit exaggerated.

The part about having more than two NHL teams in the Greater Toronto Area was humour. Having two was my serious proposal.

I have serious doubts that a second team could be profitable enough to produce a positive return on the required investment (>$300mil for an arena and likely +/- $200 mil on a franchise ).

A Texan shares her thoughts on Toronto (I know it's not someone from Chicago, but I figure that some here would be interested):

Forgive me for ranting but...I have been all over the planet and after spending a few weeks here.... Toronto is hands down my favorite city of all time.
Living in Houston provides me with extremely minimal public transportation, and I drive 100 miles a day between my home and job. If you take public transportation in Houston, you are most likely homeless, or at least impoverished. The TTC may have its downsides, but it is phenomenal compared to systems in Los Angeles, Sydney, San Francisco, etc. The subway may look small in scale compared to these other cities, but the quality of service is simply on another level. I can step outside and walk 10 feet to the Ossington/Davenport bus stop, and be all the way across the city on the subway in what seems like 15-20 minutes.

I think she may be insane :rolleyes:

The level of cultural diversity in Toronto is also extremely pleasant to me. Korea town and China town seem so much more comfortably integrated into the cityscape. We have a large section of Houston which is considered "China town", but it simply isn't integrated at all within the city, and is quite a distance away from downtown. Also, we certainly don't get to enjoy the scent of stinky tofu wafting through the air for miles around.
The parks and green areas proliferate within Toronto, and impress on me that Canadians do truly value the impact that such places have on everyday life. Spent quite some time in Christie Pitts and High Park just drinking with friends, and enjoying some of your fine beverages (LOVE that nasty Faxe 10, Holstein Maibock, Holstein Festbok, ciders,and anything Molson). Truly wish the US would switch to the Canadian style of measuring alcohol content.
Speaking of beer, didn't matter if the prices were on average triple what I pay in Texas, the Victory Cafe in the Annex had one of the finest selections of beer I've come across. The beers on tap by Great Lakes brewery and Flying Monkey had me coming back daily. The Highlander Scottish Pale Ale was killer as well. However, for food, I was on a hunt to find the best poutine in the city.
Two poutine places stuck out to me as ever-dependable. "Come and Get It" and Smoke's. Smoke's seemed like it was going to be similar to a typical chain restaurant in the states, but the quality of their Country Style poutine (bacon, chicken, cheese curds, mushrooms, carmelized onions, gravy) blew me away. I was going back to Bloor St for that poutine at least twice a week. Also Spent quite a bit of time at Future Bakery enjoying their Chicken Schnitzel.
Finally, the one thing that made Toronto stand out the most....was the people. I know Canadians from surrounding/rival cities (politely) talk a lot of crap about Torontonians, but for a big city, it had the most kind population I have ever experienced. Even the small cities outside of Houston don't come close to the friendly feel of Toronto. My whole life I've always assumed that southerners are the most friendly people ever, and Torontonians made us look like Parisians....or New Yorkers..(ones that don't give away Gotye tickets). Everywhere I went there were community events going on, free food being given out in neighborhoods, and just an endless amount of effortless diversity. However, this kindness did not always extend to some places....cough (Christie station in korea town) cough, but overall, I felt immediately right at home.
There is so much more I could rant on about....the museums...the art galleries...Timmies.....the amount of amazing shows...Honest Ed's.....the GRAFFITI....but I've already spent too much time redditing on the clock at work, so I'll cut it short.
In the end, I would have to designate Toronto as New York city, but cleaner, more beautiful, and with a VASTLY lower population of douchebags. I would choose Toronto over NYC a thousand times over. Also, your used video game shops have the best selection I have ever seen. I miss the city already, and hope to be returning soon for some Toronto winter action.
Peace out y'all, and never take your city for granted.
P.S - Excellent bud.
OH and I forgot....this video is the best single depiction of the city I have ever seen: Toronto Tempo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kheG0k83G0o
[EDIT]: if you consider yourself a true Torontonian...YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS VIDEO^

Reddit

Back