Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

It's limestone. You can see the individual blocks. Once it's done and cleaned up, it'll look great. Natural stone generally looks better with age than precast.

No, that's precast with textured lines to make it appear like individual blocks. I watched them hanging it.

No, that's precast with textured lines to make it appear like individual blocks. I watched them hanging it.

The builder's website says limestone. It looks like individual blocks. It's probably a natural stone veneer on concrete panels, which is a cheaper alternative to traditional masonry. It's still real stone, though I wonder if a veneer will stand the test of time.

Those same builder's websites love talking about the "steel and glass" exteriors and curtainwall and all kinds of other things that don't actually make it to the finished product. I guess it's possible that they've used a stone veneer over the precast concrete, but for all the trouble they would've been better off just doing it properly, like they did at U.

Yup, they are pre-assembled limestone panels on a concrete backing. No idea how thick the limestone veneer is, but I can't imagine that wear is going to be a major issue.

Today:

12308355205_490e6ce44a_c.jpg

that spandrel looks horrid. I fear its going to ruin this project.

The glass sucks too. The limestone panels are a refreshing change. I guess the upside is that Casa will look even better than it did before if this building turns out to be a failure, and it's beginning to look like it.

Judging from the photos alone, I don't see issues with the glass and spandrel. The glass looks a clear grey, with a minimal green tinge. The spandrels have a sleek black look and should provide good vertical accents.

Every building is a failure with some people.

That's not true. If I'm the "some people" you reference I rave about many projects, but I'm also outspoken on those I don't like. And hey, I could be wrong here. I hope I am!

The glass sucks too. The limestone panels are a refreshing change. I guess the upside is that Casa will look even better than it did before if this building turns out to be a failure, and it's beginning to look like it.

I wouldn't jump the gun so soon... I used to work labour on the shangri-la a few years back. While I was sure at the time (4 stories up) that it wouldnt turn out, it seems like in retrospect that I was quite wrong.. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how the exterior of the club being put at the top will look juxtaposed against the skyline. If all goes well, it could make it a real standout. Besides, its a refreshing change to the massive amounts of rectangles around it (I'm looking at you Casa(s) - not that bowties are somehow better looking in principle).

While I like the renderings, like anything else, I could be wrong, just as any of us could be..

Back