Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Chaz on Charles Update

Toronto’s Yonge & Bloor neighbourhood continues to evolve with the addition of CHAZ. To be located at 45 Charles Street East next to the recently completed Casa Condominium, CHAZ will rise 39 stories including a 5-story podium.

ChazOverall1125.jpg

CHAZ is the creation of 45 Charles Ltd and Edenshaw Homes Ltd. Edenshaw’s principal David McComb oversaw the planning and final execution of Concord’s CityPlace development near Spadina and Front St.

Designed by Sol Wassermuhl of Toronto-based Page + Steele / IBI Architects with interiors by Elaine Cecconi of Cecconi Simone Inc, CHAZ will have an innovative design with eight corner suites on each floor. The suites include floor-to-ceiling windows and 9’ ceiling heights.

The amenities at CHAZ might be the most diverse ever offered in Toronto.

Starting with the two-storey Chaz Club located on the 36th and 37th floors, residents have a demonstration-style cooking area along with their panoramic south-facing view of the city.

ChazClub1125.jpg

Residents will be able to work out in the fitness room, spinning area and yoga / pilates room, then rejuvenate in his and hers saunas, and in a relax room with Hydrospa and relaxation chairs.

A Gamers Room is perfect for hosting LAN parties with access to multi screens. Film fans will have a 3D screening room, while the sports fans will have their own exclusive sports theatre.

Four-legged residents at CHAZ have not been forgotten; a private pet spa will be available after long walks through Yorkville, the Village and other adjoining neighbourhoods.

In addition, there will be two hotel-style guest suites available for booking.

ChazLobby1125.jpg

The lobby of CHAZ will feature the “living room†where guests and residents can lounge while waiting for friends or neighbours. This area features a walkout to an outdoor living space with semi-private and secluded lounge areas, a two-sided fireplace, and an indoor/outdoor dining area with a barbecue.

The exterior landscaping will showcase a large waterfall with a sculpture of frolicking dolphins.

The 420 residential homes consist of studios, one-bedroom, one-bedroom + den, two-bedroom and three-bedroom and penthouse suites and are priced from the mid-$200,000s to over $1,500,000.

While one might think trying to appeal to all kinds of Gen X/Yers with a grab bag of amenities is a bit much (who is really going to use the demonstration kitchen? I would hope Jamie Kennedy or Mark McEwan decides to live at Chaz. A private pet spa? And a room for LAN parties? At least a 3D movie theatre is thinking ahead), the part of the development that is the kicker for trying to do too much is the waterfall with a sculpture of frolicking dolphins.

I'm not sure what dolphins have to do with Chaz, Charles Street, or Toronto, or anything, really. They must appeal to some other section of the population that isn't covered by the other amenities. If the developers were trying to stick with their Chaz theme, they could have had a fountain sculpture of transgender Chaz Bono instead. That would certainly be much more interesting and relevant.

While the current design gives a nod towards the building that is currently there with its 8 corner units, personally, a condo redesign to Chas with a Chas Addams theme (you know, the New Yorker cartoonist and creator of the Addams family) would work I think. We could see our first Victorian Revival skyscraper. I'll take the 2 bed + den Uncle Fester unit, complete with Edison light bulbs with his face on a sconce.

So is this a Hooker bar, or are they really trying to sell to the upscale Lesbian market?

There are six women portrayed in this render and only one male. I know most render artists are men and they like to draw women but really... This is a bit much.

ChazLobby1125.jpg

So is this a Hooker bar, or are they really trying to sell to the upscale Lesbian market?

There are six women portrayed in this render and only one male. I know most render artists are men and they like to draw women but really... This is a bit much.

render artists don't even have to draw these ... it's a cut + paste from a directory of images

ChazClub1125.jpg

Wow on that club room... although with this caveat: the stairs at the back have been given that unbelievably ethereal and sexy totally unsupported look, and while I imagine that I wouldn't put more than a couple of kg worth of load on the steps myself, my guests might...

when we use the "demonstration-style cooking area" some night. I would totally use that.

Why would the sex of the people in the render be an issue? Some other renders use all men... is that to say it is a huge homoerotic building? Just because there is women in the photo does not instantly mean it is a hooker bar; and what would the issue be with a lesbian-oriented space? Statistics do tell that the LGBT community is one of the most overall wealthy, intellegent and creative in society, so there would be a reason to market to this community.

The real purpose of adding humans to a render is for scale and season.

The "Chaz Club" looks really nice, but as a lounge and demo kitchen, I don't think it would be used much. This space would be better utilized as a gym/pool area.
The "living room" is also nicely designed too. I don't think these amenities would help much in terms of sales.

The exterior is growing on me.

Why would the sex of the people in the render be an issue? Some other renders use all men... is that to say it is a huge homoerotic building? Just because there is women in the photo does not instantly mean it is a hooker bar; and what would the issue be with a lesbian-oriented space? Statistics do tell that the LGBT community is one of the most overall wealthy, intellegent and creative in society, so there would be a reason to market to this community.

The real purpose of adding humans to a render is for scale and season.

My take on the photo is they are trying to discourage a lot of gay men from showing up to purchase. JMO.

^Yes, with Chaz being a diminutive for Charles and the implication then that one "Charles" is on another "Charles" as in coital mounting, is so hilarious that we all split a gut when you implied it. Your wit is as urbane as it is intelligent! Good show old chap!

Puleeease

:p

Back