Toronto Casa II Condos | 184.09m | 56s | Cresford | a—A

Has this proposal even been approved by the city yet?

I'm actually pleased about the end of the boom, as it seemed that we were just about to embark on a period that would have seen some serious demolition happening in the Entertainment District. Restaurant Row, the lowrise hostels on Widmer and the heritage buildings on the south side of Mercer, among others, were all under immediate thread. Additionally we'll avoid some very mediocre towers like King Blue and Noir going up.

I do hope that Casa II, Massey Tower, Picasso, Exhibit, King Charlotte, Pace and 60 Colborne all somehow manage to squeak through to the construction phase. I wouldn't shed too many tears over 88 Scott or INDX missing the boat.

yes this proposal has "even been approved by the city yet" - see the posts directly above yours.

yes this proposal has "even been approved by the city yet" - see the posts directly above yours.

Sorry to hear Casa II is not going up but it is not happening for reasons that I support (too high desity and too close to existing tall buildings). Charles would have started looking like Bay street. I have a view on it from the X Condo. Still I will have X2, Couture, Casa, Chaz, One Bloor, Uptown and the Four Seasons in my view. On the point of a slowing down of the construction of new towers, I would welcome that too. It will start to balance out the market for a soft landing (if there is a landing at all) instead of a complete collapse. Plus living downtown is becoming the better option if you work in the city like I do. Why drive in constant gridlock? Not happy about the smog, everything is downtown and walkable. My friend in Missy uses his car to go to the corner store which is a two minutes walk away. Too much sprawl. Jane Jacobs we have failed you and we are only now constructing as we should have and proposing transit plans that we should have all those years ago :(...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear Casa II is not going up but it is not happening for reasons that I support (too high desity and too close to existing tall buildings)...

As stated by many before me, this project is imminent.

Charles is going to be an utter disaster for the next 5+ years with all the new construction taking place.

As stated by many before me, this project is imminent.

Charles is going to be an utter disaster for the next 5+ years with all the new construction taking place.

Alright it's going up and we'll leave it at that then. They will have to rip up Charles and rebuild that road when these all go up. It already is riding a roller coaster between Jarvis and Church. Heaven forbid if you are walking and there are lakes on the road due to it subsiding.

Alright it's going up and we'll leave it at that then. They will have to rip up Charles and rebuild that road when these all go up. It already is riding a roller coaster between Jarvis and Church. Heaven forbid if you are walking and there are lakes on the road due to it subsiding.

Section 37 funds from this project are paying for road improvements along Charles and Hayden Streets. So yes, Charles will be bad for another 5-7 years, but once all this development is done it will be renewed.

Section 37 funds are for community improvements in exchange for amending bylaws to allow for increased density. They should not be used to fund repairs to roads - that (a) should be the cities responsiblity in terms of ongoing maintenance and (b) damage directly caused by development - damage directly caused by development should be repaired at the developer's cost.

Section 37 funds are for community improvements in exchange for amending bylaws to allow for increased density. They should not be used to fund repairs to roads - that (a) should be the cities responsiblity in terms of ongoing maintenance and (b) damage directly caused by development - damage directly caused by development should be repaired at the developer's cost.

That's totally fair.

This is for "streetscape" improvements ("$3,800,000 for streetscape improvements on Charles Street East and Hayden Street from Yonge Street to Church Street not abutting the site"), so that also means sidewalk, trees (silva cells for trees along Charles would be nice), grates around the trees, etc. This is off topic, but I wish all of Charles were a woonerf because of heavy and to be increased pedestrian and bike use to help slow to the speeding auto traffic, but that probably won't happen.

i'm glad to see the section 37 funds being used for streetscape improvements - I misunderstood.

Things are getting pretty tight here on Charles St. Between Casa, BSN, Casa 11 and Chaz, the neighbours will have endured almost a decade of non stop construction.

casa2a19.jpg

Back