Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

More Casa!

The south side of Crappa, er, CASA today where the construction elevators are in the process of being disassembled. My lack of intelligence made me do that :)

Shame it blocks BSN from that angle...

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great lobby shots dt.

What I like about the lobby is that it is public. It is offering something back to the street rather than closing itself off from it, which can only help the public realm. I'm not as crazy about the tower as other people are on here - it's a little too minimalist for me - but the podium is perfect.

Thanks for the great lobby shots dt.

What I like about the lobby is that it is public. It is offering something back to the street rather than closing itself off from it, which can only help the public realm. I'm not as crazy about the tower as other people are on here - it's a little too minimalist for me - but the podium is perfect.

do you know if the wood panels is considered the public art component that's required by the city now

I took a couple cell phone shots inside the lobby Sunday. See attached. The photos do not do it justice.

Attachments

• lobby1 Dec 27.jpg
    lobby1 Dec 27.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 274
  • lobby2 Dec 27.jpg
    lobby2 Dec 27.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 249
So if I wandered in there and asked security if I can photograph they won't mind?

I like how the blue room ties in with the other "on show" aspects of contemporary buildings around town these days - Quadrangle's BMW dealership, the City Room, Galleria Italia, even The Great Man's lobby at 22 Wellesley.

I am entitled to my opinion and I think Casa is tacky but there are obviously some jaded members of this forum that have invested in this building who don't want to hear the truth and get their feelings hurt. They would rather me post something like "Casa is stunning, Casa is amazing". Sorry folks, I am not going to do that because I speak how I feel and Crappa, I mean Casa, is not a condo I really like. There are some other great building developments going on like BSN, Four Seasons and 1 Bedford but Casa is not one of the developments I am really fond of right now I think Casa is tacky and I think it truly appeals to people who don't have a more elevated and sophistciated level of taste, it is really meant for people whose taste is "that is shiny, I like that". In other words, it appeals to the less intelligent of those around us :)

Taste schmaste. I happen to think Casa is outstanding, but I certainly don't profess to have good taste. My taste is my taste. Who cares if it's good or bad. Nor do I pass judgement on other people's taste. Alls I know is this. I bought my unit because of the spectacular 315 sq. ft. wrap-around balcony. Yee-haw! Can't wait to jog alongside my unit. This note is certainly a candidate for censure and deletion!

Last edited:
I personally don't mind pepper posting on this forum. Having loonies around makes things more interesting after all. I completely respect the fact that one may have unique taste. But to not recognize that their taste is unique to them and then actually convince themselves that everybody but themselves is wrong is a classic sign of a personality disorder.

When I liked the design or CASA, I always considered that to my my OWN opinion. However, over time I recognized the fact that outside of the "few members" on this forum the number of people that know of this building upon mention and comment on how it's one of the most beautiful buildings that they've seen. When you stand at Yonge & Bloor or on Charles Street these days you will notice many people standing stopped admiring CASA (nobody is looking at BSN)...and most likely pepper has convinced himself that all these people are looking at it because of how awful it is like a bad car wreck that you can't look away from. I have my opinion, but I think the vast majority of the public has spoken. When you come across people like pepper that walk around in parachute pants and have themselves convinced that people wearing blue jeans are insane, the best thing to do is just ignore.

FYI on the lobby panels. They are slabs of wood that have been sanded and varnished. I believe that the next set of panels that will be treated next will either be painted or stained with a darker varnish. They have been bang on with the renderings so I do expect that the remainder of panels will be darker and add contrast.

Taste schmaste. I happen to think Casa is outstanding, but I certainly don't profess to have good taste. My taste is my taste. Who cares if it's good or bad. Nor do I pass judgement on other people's taste. Alls I know is this. I bought my unit because of the spectacular 315 sq. ft. wrap-around balcony. Yee-haw! Can't wait to jog alongside my unit. This note is certainly a candidate for censure and deletion!

I didn't know of any units that have a 315 sq ft balcony? Ohhhh, are you the one that bought 2 units to be made into one?

I didn't know of any units that have a 315 sq ft balcony? Ohhhh, are you the one that bought 2 units to be made into one?

I'm not that fancy. Just a typical Foglia. Exterior dimensions of "L" shaped balcony are 40 ft. and 28 ft. It's 5 ft. deep. So the area would be (40 x 5 = 200) plus (23 x 5 = 115) for a total of 315. We had this discussion on this thread way back in August 2008. The brochures significantly understated the actual square footage of the balconies.

I'm not that fancy. Just a typical Foglia. Exterior dimensions of "L" shaped balcony are 40 ft. and 28 ft. It's 5 ft. deep. So the area would be (40 x 5 = 200) plus (23 x 5 = 115) for a total of 315. We had this discussion on this thread way back in August 2008. The brochures significantly understated the actual square footage of the balconies.

That's a very good point!!! I never even thought about the fact that you're adding 5' here...although you would have to subtract about 25' that overlaps (which I assume by your total that you did)...it's still a huge balcony. I have a Milano and it's actually 30' on the inside which is a bit bigger than advertised...the interior wall to wall dimensions of mine are about 30' x 21' not includng the hall...so I guess my balcony would be 35'x26' which comes out to 155 + 105 = 260 - 25 = 235 vs Cresford stating 237 so I guess for me it's accurate. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that the 2 bedroom corner units are the exact same lenghtwise as the 1 bedroom corners so despite what Cresford has advertised your unit is only about 21-22 feet from the inside walls...maybe it's 23 from the outside. I would bet $100 that when you get your unit the balcony will be closer to 39x26x which would be 300sqf...but correct, it's still significantly larger than the 237 advertised. I wonder what common sense person at Cresford made the mistake of posting that the 2BR balconies are the same size as the 1BR.

Since your unit is north facing and unfortunately faces BSN...and assuming pepper had enough sense to buy a south facing unit so that he actually has a nice building to look at and get some sunlight to prevent depression from living in such a drab builing...you will be able to run lenghts on your balcony while making silly faces at pepper while he's sitting out there on his cramped little balcony. Although he would probably be thinking he's a king in his little throne laughing to himself at the fact that you have too big of a balcony which is a negative because it has so much open space where people can see you on it. OR, maybe you need to take caution that he'd never use the balcony where he can be seen and look out for a unit with closed drapes that have a little opening with binoculars sticking out. :eek:

Perhaps the blinkers of "good taste" that pepper79 wears so ostentatiously act as a barrier to forming a direct emotional connection to, and appreciating the aesthetic appeal of, objects of the creative imagination - including buildings? Through some alchemy in their creation, certain buildings - Casa's one, as many attest - have the magic ingredient that elevates our enjoyment of life, while other structures - BSN, say - don't. His angst may flow from some sort of "good taste/bad taste" inner conflict ... or simply from an inability to appreciate beauty. It isn't a birthright to do so, and missing the visual delight of Casa is neither a moral failing nor a crime.

But neither is it something to brag about.

Back