Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

relax, I was just teasing! more thinking of myself because last time I was up that way I had to wait for the Green Machine at the TD Bank at the end of a long day... could only admire the cranes of Casa and BSN and couldnt be bothered to venture east of Yonge. (I had a craving for a shawarma a few blocks south)

Casa Condominium Progress, May 24, 2008

^The southeast corner and northeast corners. Anyone know exactly what these machines/generators are for?

^Are they the same finishes they were promising from the original sales centre/model suite?

Also, I'm curious about upgrades. Did you already pay for them when you bought or do you pay later?

Thanks for the update.

yeah, the finishings are pretty much the same as they had promised. Scavolini kitchens, stainless steel appliances, engineered floor in principal rooms, glass tiled blacksplashes.. there weren't tons of options but the ones they had were acceptable. I didn't do any upgrades as I find builders prices are inflated.. What I really wanted was a fancier version of Scavolini kitchen cabinets but it costed 17k.

Normally when you do upgrads from the builder you will have to pay at the time and you can't mortgage it, but since i didn't go with any upgrades, i don't know if they give you any time to pay...

Casaguy, when is your colour selection? what floor are you on?

I'm near the top so I imagine it'll still be a while before I have to do my selection (assuming they're starting from the lower floors). I did receive notice that this process is coming up though.

Also, I was given notice that my move in date would be September 2009 which I think might be a bit too optimistic.

Model Pictures

A few shots of the model to help us see what's actually going on there.

2525967754_2aed86619c.jpg

2525143889_f6fb6fea24.jpg

2525140411_d0af04b494_b.jpg

2525957436_805f213cf3.jpg

It's really a pain to know my condo is being built by a bunch dishonest people that think we're all stupid enough to believe that they're selling the upgrades at their actual cost and not making a profit. Makes me wonder what else they lie about.

I don't think any developer tries to sell upgrades "at cost" - that's actually where most of the profit for developments are - afterall the product is mostly sold a couple of years ago and material and labour costs have risen significantly since then, anyone who bought at CASA when it first opened has done pretty well considering what nearby projects are opening at. A high proportion of the profit and cost recouperation for developers is in the upgrades.

I don't quite understand why you or anyone would think it is dishonest for a business to offer upgrades to earn profit - that's why they are in business in the first place. It's an option, not a requirement to get the upgrades - you are completely open to get someone else to do it or go to home depot and make the upgrades yourself. The builder isn't in the charity business, although it's clear that some people expect that to be the case.

^I have to agree. Cresford has an absolutely horrendous reputation and has done nothing to improve upon it, but you can't call them dishonest for wanting to make a profit on upgrades. It may be a rip-off but it's not dishonest.

The real test for Cresford is starting now with the power of the internet, this forum, and the hundreds of customers who are about to begin dealing with them directly.

They've had some serious difficulties/delays with a number of projects (Mode being a fairly recent cancellation... although there are some other active projects by other builders that may also go the route of Mode in the coming months), but making a profit on upgrades certainly isn't dishonest - it is standard practice in any industry/business.

Mode

Yeah, and that's the only reason why I have an unit as CASA... I bought an unit at MODE few years ago. Two bedroom two bath, 1000 sqft including parking for 330k. Now i have a much smaller unit with NO parking for only about 50k less than that. They did offer me a 30k rebate which was a nice gesture... Yes, Cresford is doesn't have the best reputation, however, I have faith they will deliver a decent finished product in the end... Don't get me wrong, I expect problems and I expect to fight with them, but even with all the problems at Quad and their other projects, they all turned out okay in the end...

They've had some serious difficulties/delays with a number of projects (Mode being a fairly recent cancellation... although there are some other active projects by other builders that may also go the route of Mode in the coming months), but making a profit on upgrades certainly isn't dishonest - it is standard practice in any industry/business.

Mike - the amount of inside knowledge you have of the industry is quite intriguing, and I appreciate that you tell us as much as you can. Statements like the above really pique my curiousity "what does he know?" "who's about the stumble?", but I know you are the soul of discretion, so I am prepared to live with the mystery until things unravel in public. Anyway, whatever the job is that you hold where this info flows about, I want that job! Let us know if any openings come up!

Just to clarify...absolutely nothing wrong making a profit on anything. My beef is that a number of people from Cresford have told me that the upgrades are extremely expensive and that the price is actually their cost and they arn't making a penny from it. That is where the dishonestly is.

Back