Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

^Oh what if you live in a gorgeous Victorian on Brunswick Avenue, or Kennedy Rd in Bloor West Village, or somewhere in between? Let's see, I work@my box full of bores on Bay St, I get in my car and drive 5 minutes to my house? 10 minutes? If I have a condo, I gotta park my Aston Martin in a tight underground spot then lug my laptop around the garage, wait for the elevator, nod hello to some strange jerk I secretly hate who keeps me awake all night blasting 80's disco hits, etc.... Ugh. I'd rather have my Rosedale or Annex house--huge backyard, big front porch to chill on, blah blah blah.

As for why under construction parking garages (and condos) are dangerous? Silica dust collects down in them and just hangs there waiting for you to choke and die....

You forgot to shriek "think of the children, think of the children!"

Does wiring always get poured into concrete floors? If so, what are the maintenance implications? Does the protection it affords the cabling outweigh the fact that it becomes impossible to replace?

I suspect that's why many apartments & condos rarely offer ceiling lighting except in kitchens & hallways. Initial planning & cost, plus maintenance headaches down the road.

What's even more amusing is some construction workers don't wear any protection ("required" by law) when working with concrete--in Vancouver, the concrete finishers (after slab is poured they come in and sand down any bumps etc in the slab--in Vancouver, seemed to be dominated by illegal Mexican labourers) don't take any safety precautions whatsoever! Obviously silica dust is a major issue with concrete buildings--which explains why it takes ages to build them--eg, before cladding goes on you gotta clean out all the crap construction wastes--and that means sweeping very slowly so silica dust isn't raised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

I find it highly amusing the current trend to LEED gold and silver buildings; the fact is construction waste is enormous; what really needs to change is conservative contracting and construction companies and construction processes. The LEED thing imho is merely the current marketing buzz.

So don't go walking into underground structures under construction!

Casa Condominium Progress Dec 9, 2007

Still workin' their way up to P2...

DSCN1565.jpg

DSCN1566.jpg

DSCN1572.jpg

This may seem long and painful casaguy but this is moving at a good clip. Impressive considering the long delays of BSN across the street.

Actually it's not seeming long and painful at all. (Except to my friends who have to constantly hear about it). I'm enjoying seeing the noticeable progress each time I walk by.

Casa Condominium Progress Dec 22, 2007

Motoring right along... About one more level to go before ground level...

Considering the crane was just installed on Sept. 23rd, I'd say this is pretty amazing progress. (Especially compared to London on the Esplanade).

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1638.jpg

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.jpg

This is moving along nicely. Trust me, I bought in Murano, I've waited since 2005 and I still have to wait. But once it hits ground and the tower goes up, you'll be jumping for joy. I did, I"m now on 9th floor joy and rising

I don't think this has been discussed before, but CASA is supposed to have a "46 storey steel frame" which would also make this project unique.

My brother works in construction and says that because of the steel frame the building should shoot up very, very fast once they get to ground level. Any thoughts?

So this will be constructed in the same fashion as the BAC? Will there be any concrete aside from the core? If not, thats amazing!

P.s. HiRiser - hold in there! Murano is finally above ground level (about time!) and you can count the weeks until you see your floor being poured!

So this will be constructed in the same fashion as the BAC? Will there be any concrete aside from the core? If not, thats amazing!

P.s. HiRiser - hold in there! Murano is finally above ground level (about time!) and you can count the weeks until you see your floor being poured!

I recall the floorplans at Casa showing those round cement supports in corners and living areas so there will be cement.

Back