Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

My parents bought stainless steel appliances when they build their house in 1962 Frigidair brand, they replaced them in the mid 80's when the dishwasher finally died.
The appliances looked good the whole time, they were not commercial appliances....like Homer seems to think.
Stainless steel is a very practical material for appliances and other machinery.

I bet Homer prefers the avacodo green, piss yellow or shit brown appliances from the 70's ;)

Actually does anyone know the history of stainless steel appliances in home kitchens, because my guess is some famous chef decided that for his/her home kitchen he/she wanted the same size commercial appliances in their kitchen as they have in their restaurants for the size/durability/function not really caring about the look of it. Then famous rich folk visiting(parties) at said chef's house decided that it would be a good idea for them to provide these s.s. appliances in their home for their kitchen staff... and so on repeating itself... then designers thought hey lets provide a version for regular folk, so now you have stainless steel appliances in homes/condos that don't have the size/durability/functionality (and leave nice finger prints) and it becomes the 'in' thing, until people start asking why?

Rather than following on later, Modernist designers saw the practical and aesthetic potential of stainless steel as a material early on, producing attractive, useful wares for the general public. Here's the award-winning Alveston tea set, for instance, created by silversmith and industrial designer Robert Welch in 1962 for the English firm Old Hall - the range also includes a wide variety of cutlery. I use Alveston and some of Welch's other Old Hall wares at home every day ( eBay buys, a decade ago ... ). Welch, who studied at Birmingham College of Art and the RCA in London, had designed several pre-Alveston lines for the firm since becoming their design director in 1955. After art school he worked in Scandinavia where the commercial potential of stainless steel domestic wares was already understood by designers. Arne Jacobsen's stainless designs for Stelton date from about the same time.

Alveston:

http://www.markparrish.co.uk/web objects/robert welch trio.JPG

Stelton's Cylinda design:

http://designmuseum.org/__entry/4150?style=design_image_popup

"...In the clear recessionary morning, all that stuff we’ve been binge buying suddenly looks gaudy and ridiculous. It’s been a 25-year blur of fluorescent Frankie Sez shirts, logo handbags, Hummers and ring tones. We need to have one giant national garage sale and invite the world.

Stainless steel: Every appliance we touched had to be covered in stainless steel, as if we were low-rent King Midases. How the lamest of metals became the way to show off your wealth is going to confuse the hell out of archaeologists. “No, they actually had gold and silver. And plastics of many colors. They were just easily distracted by cheap, shiny things.” Thank God the recession came, because we were about two years from having to sit on cold stainless steel toilet seats....."

this says it all... I will shut up now.

...I bet Homer prefers the avacodo green, piss yellow or shit brown appliances from the 70's ;)

haa haa no but I am sure we look back at stainless steel appliances like we do on these colours of the seventies and ask.. what the hell were they thinking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How the lamest of metals became the way to show off your wealth

You realise it's an alloy, don't you?

this says it all

Indeed.

haa haa no but I am sure we look back at stainless steel appliances like we do on these colours of the seventies and ask.. what the hell were they thinking.

They'll say:

"Wasn't it a good idea to use such a versatile, protective and timeless finish, it still looks good to this day...unlike that painted crap that those with no esthetic values love."

Homer, we got it, you hate stainless steel more than anything else. Some of us like it and you will not change our opinion.

I love ss done right.

For example, like this:
stainless_steel_kitchen_1.jpg

Or this:
stainless%20steel%20kitchen.JPG

And this is nice too:
8289-salvarani-pk-contemporary-kitchen-design-cooktop.jpg

But take any old ss appliances from say Future Shop/Home Depot/Appliance Canada etc and plunk down in middle of a tacky (beige'n brown'n black) average Toronto home, and you turn a beautiful material into junk.

Last edited:
Urbandreamer...I think your taste is very personal. To me the SS in the first 2 pics is total overkill, but if you like it then all the power to you.

I must say I do like urbandreamer's 3rd image shown above ~

IMO Casa is quite plain and simple... Casa looks nice from certain angles (like Yonge/Bloor) but doesn't look to good from others...

I am not a huge fan of wrap around balconies on square buildings... It seems a little old fashioned IMO...

***I AIN'T a Casa hater :D!

Casa kinda reminds me of these recently (but ugly IMO) built buildings in North York City Centre... It's Pulse Condominiums by Pemberton...

2680920087_8cce24298a_b.jpg

Jesus, this is the first time I've seen Pulse condominiums.. Its better looking than the picture on the web site, but it just looks like a PL design gone wrong:rolleyes: I can understand why some are not fond of PL, as they've clearly seen this junk first.

Casa is much more superior.

As a side note folks, I've heard through the grape vine that some type of elevator computer got water damaged and had to be replaced, costing 70 thousand dollars. The only thing is, I don't know if its either Casa condominiums or The Richmond condos. Its one or the other, but I'm leaning my guess to Casa... anyone know if the elevators aren't working or weren't working at a point of time? Some idiot made the mistake by drilling a hole through concrete and not properly insulating it. I'm wondering who's going to be paying for that as well, likely an insurance company?

Wow the first 2 pics are so sterile, it looks like the inside of an operating room.

My lawyer's office has informed me that they just received a bunch of documents from Cresford including my parking assignment on the 4th floor. DAMN! Well at least I can walk up one flight of stairs from the parking lot to get to the common floor.

I love ss done right.

For example, like this:

Or this:

And this is nice too:

But take any old ss appliances from say Future Shop/Home Depot/Appliance Canada etc and plunk down in middle of a tacky (beige'n brown'n black) average Toronto home, and you turn a beautiful material into junk.

The 1st and last look nice, though a bit sterile and grey, but that second one looks like a morgue... I'd be afraid to open those drawers!

Construction continues on Casa Condomium in Toronto

110.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Glass work is moving along on the Casa Condominium project in Toronto. Construction manager DJ Campbell Construction Ltd. began the project - which includes a 47-storey, 404-unit tower atop a five-storey podium - in spring 2007.

The project will also have eight levels of parking.

Cresford Developments is the owner and the project was designed by architectsAlliance.

Consultants are Jablonsky Ast & Partners (structural) and Able Engineering Inc. (mechanical/electrical).

Subtrades include: Magine Contractors (1994) Inc. (excavation); Deep Foundations Contractors Inc. (shoring/caissons); Delgant 2000 Ltd. (formwork); Salit Steel (rebar); Innocon Inc. (concrete supply); University Plumbing & Heating; Jay Electric Ltd.; Roman Metal Fabricating Ltd. (misc. metals); Aluminum Window Designs; and CNIM Canada Group (elevators).

The 1st and last look nice, though a bit sterile and grey, but that second one looks like a morgue... I'd be afraid to open those drawers!

That is exactly what went through my mind, it looks like the corner of an autopsy suite in CSI Miami!

There's lots of visible activity on site in the past couple of days. Landscaping equipment is busy out front and lifts inside the lobby working the upper sections on the west side of the lobby. It was hard to see in with the glare of the sun and the photographs I took turned out to be useless so no point in posting them. Suffice to say the ground level areas are moving along at a good clip now.

Back