Toronto CampusOne Student Residence (was University Place) | 79.85m | 25s | Knightstone | Diamond Schmitt

What's so great about this area that we need to preserve it's character? I'd be happy to see some major changes in this area as I don't see much worth preserving. Tear down some of those ugly houses and let's get some serious density here. I like this tower.

People live there. They have rights. The U of T can't just send in bulldozers whenever, wherever, so there's a process that will allow homeowners that live near this site to have a say.

Yeah, me too

I think what he's getting at is that if this tower goes through, it will set a precedent for the area in terms of how far above current density and height limits developers can expect to be granted. This in turn will cause property values to rise immensely thus pricing out the current uses in Kensington. In a word, gentrification. Even if this isn't what Jayomatic is suggesting, I think it's still a valid concern. And to those who claim there should be no protest about this development as the area surrounding it is merely filled with 'decrepit' housing or is a 'ghetto', even if this were true, why should people less better off have less of a say about how change affects their neighbourhood?

Last edited:
And beyond that, given the neighbourhood we're dealing with, it'd effectively be back-to-the-future, to the pre-1972, pre-Crombie blockbusting era and mentality, as if the intervening years were for naught...

I think what he's getting at is that if this tower goes through, it will set a precedent for the area in terms of how far above current density and height limits developers can expect to be granted. This in turn will cause property values to rise immensely thus pricing out the current uses in Kensington. In a word, gentrification. Even if this isn't what Jayomatic is suggesting, I think it's still a valid concern. And to those who claim there should be no protest about this development as the area surrounding it is merely filled with 'decrepit' housing or is a 'ghetto', even if this were true, why should people less better off have less of a say about how change affects their neighbourhood?

The difference is that this is a proposal on a major street, not little side streets of which Kensington is exclusively composed. That being said, I'd be interested to know whether the city has created any kind of boundry putting anything west of Spadina off limits to high intensity development much as it has north of Queen.

And beyond that, given the neighbourhood we're dealing with, it'd effectively be back-to-the-future, to the pre-1972, pre-Crombie blockbusting era and mentality, as if the intervening years were for naught...

How exactly would this be blockbusting? It would be knocking down one building in favour of another, which has been a hallmark of this entire development cycle. What block is being razed to the ground?

I don't think there is any connection whatsoever between this site and Kensington Market...they are worlds apart...

U of T is a MAD SERIOUS university, you have to agree with that.

TOTES. I actaully like this proposal. It's a bit taller then I'd've thought, but Spadina/College can handle more young people living nearby. Frankly, Kensington will have that many more customers living nearby. Thee aren't luxuy condos, they're student residences.

To be honest I do not understand why some are against this building. All I ever see is "ugh another box" or "gross its a glass blue box"... finally something that is at least interesting and all we see is "oh its out of context" and "it doesn't fit in the neighbourhood."

This building would have been an amazing addition to the city's architecture, Toronto is known for having building that are "out of place" but that is not generally a bad thing.

If this is redesigned to be a glass box that was short, everyone on here will rage because it's short and just a box.

Either way, I like modern glass boxes... so I'll be happy.

^You'd be surprised... For example, Kensington Market is basically owned by 3 Toronto families, and they have many properties on Spadina.... there's a reason many Spadina and College buildings are rundown--imo intentionally making them ripe for redevelopment--and why not?:D

The students here will clearly love patronizing K-market bars and restaurants etc; a fantastic location for them!

I'd argue K-market is already gentrified, it's almost boring now for me. Funny how those La Palette folks had to dramatize the whole rent rise thing, yet they started the gentrification process with their (at the time) posh restaurant! I give it 3 years before we start to see some of the crappier market buildings razed for 6-8s infill.

Re: this proposal--it'll be built, probably around 29s and the entire block to Spadina will suddenly see a rash of highrise applications. The bk building must die!

Last edited:
With the gentrification that this building will inevitably bring to this area, I can't help but wonder whether we will need to replace the Spadina streetcar with subway 10-20 years from now. The Spadina streetcar is heavily overcrowded even now (and it is only 15 years old), imagine what a bunch of skyscrapers in Chinatown/Kensington will do.

Back