Toronto CampusOne Student Residence (was University Place) | 79.85m | 25s | Knightstone | Diamond Schmitt

What an aberration of a building... Shame on the city.

Looks like a cancerous mass plunked in the middle of a mid to low rise neighbourhood. Instead of our planners causing a stink about 80-storey buildings at Yonge/Bloor, they should be aiming their ire at ill-thought of crap such as this.

... you do realize city planning recommended refusal and this was approved at the board, right?

For reference, you can read the OMB decision here.

Right - it's both tall and imposing given its immediate surroundings and, perhaps more importantly for the purposes of passing judgment, an unabridged omnishambles of a design.

I think the tenor of this thread would be quite different if the design were a few orders of magnitude more palatable.

Doesn't negate the point of my post at all. There are other avenues the city has to complicate things for the developer... As Mr. Mizrahi is quickly finding out.

Right, well I don't disagree with you that this building is a disaster, but I just wanted to point out that city staff were unequivocally against the proposal.

Diamond and Schmitt's recent track record has been ghastly. Why does Jack Diamond continue to be held at such reverence among the city's chattering class?

Does he? I thought the huge disappointments of the 4Seasons Opera House and the Corus Centre would've been enough to reveal the emperor has no clothes.... Let alone the crap D&S produces like this. I actually don't think Jack Diamond has much to do with running D&S - just an old figurehead no?

Does he? I thought the huge disappointments of the 4Seasons Opera House and the Corus Centre would've been enough to reveal the emperor has no clothes.... Let alone the crap D&S produces like this. I actually don't think Jack Diamond has much to do with running D&S - just an old figurehead no?
No, not a figurehead, but neither does he design most of the buildings coming from the firm. Diamond is on most of their prestige jobs around the world.

He and Don Schmitt do need to sit down and have a long think about what they are letting their clients do. This design started out looking pretty great, (although it has always been too big for the site), but iteration after iteration was hit by value engineering—'cheapened'—until this is what we get. At a certain point, Diamond Schmitt needed to say 'no'. Tough thing to do when they have employees to pay, but they have to consider what their reputation is worth to their future.

I don't understand the complaints about height. This is a major intersection served by 2 streetcar lines and right on the edge of downtown. I would expect this building to have plenty of neighbours of similar height in the future.

It's more about the massing combined with the height and the comment that it's not tall.

Personally, I do find it on the tall side for its surroundings. It would be more acceptable with setbacks leading to a small floor plate. No one knows what the future holds for the neighbourhood so I'm not willing to speculate on the plenty of "neighbours of similar height in the future". I do question the desire for every downtown intersection or every square inch of the vast downtown area to house 20+ floor high rises. I'd rather have solid street walls from 20 to 45 metres along arterials with the low rise side streets remaining relatively low rise.

From this afternoon

July 1 (I'm sorry for doing this to all of you):

IMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5731.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5643.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_5688.JPG
    IMG_5688.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_5689.JPG
    IMG_5689.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_5704.JPG
    IMG_5704.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_5731.JPG
    IMG_5731.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 619
Some lovely shots of a building that deserves nothing other than contempt. Still gotta hit "Like" for the quality of the photos, but anyone involved with the project should be embarrassed.

Some lovely shots of a building that deserves nothing other than contempt. Still gotta hit "Like" for the quality of the photos, but anyone involved with the project should be embarrassed.

Thanks. I tried to frame all the shots in a way that emphasizes the ridiculousness of the context, though that wasn't exactly a challenge.

Back